Noob questions about wa handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ange713

Banned
Reaction score
Do I need to buy a block of wood or just scales? Also, what are some typical dimensions for wa handles? I plan on doing just all black micarta with white micarta spacers. Thoughts?

Thanks.

You can put two scales together with a spacer to create a block; as seen in Mike Henrys recent thread.

As I found out today, making a slot for the stick tang is no easy task...

I think you need to be a bit more specific. Wa handles can and do take a number of forms. There are hexagonal, oval, D shape and some variations. Scales are typically less than a 1/4" thick so two with a spacer will not be enough. Buying blocks gives you the opportunity to do a number of diifferent wa styles.

I think what Mike is doing is taking a block and splitting it to put a spacer in the middle. I don't think he's using scales.

I think you need to be a bit more specific. Wa handles can and do take a number of forms. There are hexagonal, oval, D shape and some variations. Scales are typically less than a 1/4" thick so two with a spacer will not be enough. Buying blocks gives you the opportunity to do a number of diifferent wa styles.

I think what Mike is doing is taking a block and splitting it to put a spacer in the middle. I don't think he's using scales.
Ah okay, yea I plan on doing hexagonal. So I will get a block then, thanks!

Noooooo do octagonal!!!!! jk do whatever :D

Typical dimensions for octagonal handle

For 240-270mm Gyuto:
23x27mm rear
19-23mm front
5.75" long

For 270-300mm Suji
26x21mm
18x21mm
5.75-6" long

For 150-180mm Petty
25x21
18x21
5.5"long

Don't do hexonal. It's an uncomfortable shape for a handle. Octagonal is tried-and-true (and much easier to make than hexonal) or do a D style.

Back