Quantcast
Does this hypothetical knife exist?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this hypothetical knife exist?

Does this hypothetical knife exist?

I've been very happy with my newly-acquired Konosuke Funayuki/Gyuto and use it for most everything, but still want a thicker knife for heavier tasks. I have a Carbonext for that purpose, but eventually I'd like to replace/upgrade it.

So here's the gyuto I'm looking for: flatter KS/Funayuki profile, non-laser (say >2.5mm at spine), semi-stainless akin to HD or carbonext. Basically the thicker flat sakai yusuke but in semi-stainless. Some people might suggest the ultimatum, but I'm not overly enthused about 19C27 based on what I've heard.

So, does this knife exist?

Devin Thomas ITK AEB-L
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

How about a knife that is actually available for sale now or in the near future?

What's wrong with the Carbonext?

Nothing wrong with it -- it's a great knife and I've long sung its praises. I just am craving something with a wa-handle and a bit less belly.

Yoshikane SLD & SKD 11
    Gengetsu semi-stainless
    Heiji semi-stainless
    Gesshin Hide Ginsanko
    Masamoto SW3124
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    Yoshikane SLD & SKD 11
    Gengetsu semi-stainless
    Heiji semi-stainless
    Gesshin Hide Ginsanko
    Masamoto SW3124

Hmm, what can anyone tell me about the Masamoto SW 3124? According to the photo in Masamoto's catalog at http://www.masamoto-sohonten.co.jp/catalog.html (entirely in Japanese, which I don't speak), this knife seems to have a KS-like profile. Anyone know what kind of steel it has and where one would even buy it? It appears to be on Rakuten (http://item.rakuten.co.jp/subaru/sw3124/) , but again, entirely in Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    Yoshikane SLD & SKD 11
    Gengetsu semi-stainless
    Heiji semi-stainless
    Gesshin Hide Ginsanko
    Masamoto SW3124
    Heiji for heavier tasks? How are you sharpening it?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    Hmm, what can anyone tell me about the Masamoto SW 3124? According to the photo in Masamoto's catalog at http://www.masamoto-sohonten.co.jp/catalog.html (entirely in Japanese, which I don't speak), this knife seems to have a KS-like profile. Anyone know what kind of steel it has and where one would even buy it? It appears to be on Rakuten (http://item.rakuten.co.jp/subaru/sw3124/) , but again, entirely in Japanese.

Masamoto SW3124 have same KS profile with Swedish steel. you can special order from Korin with 10% off.... please PM Mari for more detail.
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Heiji for heavier tasks? How are you sharpening it?
    I only use Heiji gyuto once & never have chance to sharpening it. why you ask?? if I remember it right, Heiji has very similar profile & geometry with my Yoshikane SLD and I have no problem sharping it....