Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this hypothetical knife exist?

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    I only use Heiji gyuto once & never have chance to sharpening it. why you ask?? if I remember it right, Heiji has very similar profile & geometry with my Yoshikane SLD and I have no problem sharping it....
    the reason he is asking is because Heijis are very thin behind the edge and at the point, so they aren't really suited for "heavier" tasks, unless you deliberately thicken the geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    the reason he is asking is because Heijis are very thin behind the edge and at the point, so they aren't really suited for "heavier" tasks, unless you deliberately thicken the geometry.
    Precisely.

I've never used a Heiji, but I haven't read of or heard from a single owner who's said that it's a suitable knife for heavier tasks without doing something to change the original edge.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    really?? I think yoshikane SLD just about same thin behind the edge with Heiji & I have no problem use my SLD for home cook's "heavier" tasks, though....left side yoshikane SLD/ right side Gengetsu

Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    really?? I think yoshikane SLD just about same thin behind the edge with Heiji & I have no problem use my SLD for home cook's "heavier" tasks, though....left side yoshikane SLD/ right side Gengetsu

it really depends on what one means by "heavier" tasks, then. i would go cutting through chicken bones with any of my Heijis. i wouldn't have done that with my Gengetsu or Shig or the Yoshikane i owned, either.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    I've been very happy with my newly-acquired Konosuke Funayuki/Gyuto and use it for most everything, but still want a thicker knife for heavier tasks. I have a Carbonext for that purpose, but eventually I'd like to replace/upgrade it.

So here's the gyuto I'm looking for: flatter KS/Funayuki profile, non-laser (say >2.5mm at spine), semi-stainless akin to HD or carbonext. Basically the thicker flat sakai yusuke but in semi-stainless. Some people might suggest the ultimatum, but I'm not overly enthused about 19C27 based on what I've heard.

So, does this knife exist?
    I'm curious to know what you have heard about 19C27 that makes you feel "unenthused". IIRC, 19C27 is the steel that Suisin uses in the Inox honyaki series, and it is a very good steel. Now, if you have a lack of enthusiasm because of what you've heard about the Ultimatum, that's another thing.

BTW, if you'd like to try an Ultimatum in 19C27, I have one gathering dust in a drawer that you can try for the price of shipping. It might be what you're looking for. PM me if you're interested.

Rick

I'd like to know what you mean by "heavier tasks."

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I'd like to know what you mean by "heavier tasks."
    You know, barbells, rebar, that kind of thing.

Actually, just harder squashes, sweet potatoes, and other rock-hard root vegetables that lasers don't seem to like.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    You know, barbells, rebar, that kind of thing.

Actually, just harder squashes, sweet potatoes, and other rock-hard root vegetables that lasers don't seem to like.
    Heiji is great for those things, but expect wedging with any knife that is substantial at the spine.

+1. However, I also have no problem using a "laser" on hard squash. In fact, I prefer a thinner knife for these tasks.. What exactly happens to your KonHD when you try to cut squash with it?

+1 I've never really understood the image fragility concerning lasers. My Harner nakiri is the thinnest knife behind the edge that i will probably ever own (really, its crazy thin) and i downright have been abusing it for months with all manor of food. The edge is still completely perfect, not a microchip in sight. And it is also the best cutter for the hard items.