Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does this hypothetical knife exist?

i really like my cck for hard vegetables. maybe danny is just making up excuses to buy a new knife

In that case, i think maybe an extra 2 gyutos would fill all the gaps

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I can't recommend one because I haven't used anything besides a CarboNext.
    What do you think of the CarboNext?

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Heiji is great for those things, but expect wedging with any knife that is substantial at the spine.
    Do you own a heiji, Edipis?
    I am guessing you do from the thread, but I don't think you have explicitly said so.
    If so, do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    What do you think of the CarboNext?
    It's fine for what it is, IMHO.

It's a good transition knife for people coming from German knives because it's got the same kind of feel. It's a rather substantial feeling, western handled Japanese knife. The geometry is decent, but it's heavily biased for right handed users; it's got a asymmetric grind and edge (as you showed in your pictures); the steel seems to hold its edge a while. I haven't sharpened it yet so I can't comment on how it feels on stones, how sharp it can get or how long it holds a finer edge, but, it's a decent knife.

But, I don't like how it feels in the hand, I remember not liking the tip, the fit and finish is okay, and it's not a better performing knife than the Suisin Inox Western. I would still prefer the Suisin Inox Western if I were going to buy an entry level western handled Japanese knife as I've written here before because, IMHO, it's a better overall performing knife. If I were going to buy an entry level wa-handled knife, I would buy the Gesshin Uraku.

My opinion may slightly change after sharpening it, but I don't think it will change to the point of me recommending it over the Suisin Inox Western at that price point. A drastically sharper knife won't necessarily improve it to the point of eliminating the things I don't like about it - the balance, geometry, wedging, and overall performance. At a minimum, to improve the overall performance, I would imagine that it probably needs some bevel work beyond sharpening.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    Do you own a heiji, Edipis?
    I am guessing you do from the thread, but I don't think you have explicitly said so.
    If so, do you like it?
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-Heiji-spa-day

danny, check out the masamoto vg series, it's got a spectacular profile and the steel is very underrated. stainless, 2.5mm @ spine, tall at the heel, tapers to a very thin tip. easy as hell to sharpen, lasts a while. i went 2 months without taking it back to the stones when i first put my own bevels on one. i would have let you borrow my backup one but i recently sold it to one of my cooks (i had my main one converted to wa handle). maybe someone else might be kind enough to loan one to you? by the way let me know if you plan on selling your carbonext, one of my cooks is looking to upgrade from his miyabi.

cclin - have you used a masamoto sw3124? could you tell me more about it? is it basically an aeb-l version of the ks? if so that might be an interesting one to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    cclin - have you used a masamoto sw3124? could you tell me more about it? is it basically an aeb-l version of the ks? if so that might be an interesting one to check out.
    panda, I've not use masamoto sw3124. the web page only state it is スウェーデン鋼(Swedish steel), I'm not sure is 13C26(AEB-L) or 19c27 steel. you can PM Mari(Korin) or e-mail Koki(JCK) for more information!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    danny, check out the masamoto vg series, it's got a spectacular profile and the steel is very underrated. stainless, 2.5mm @ spine, tall at the heel, tapers to a very thin tip. easy as hell to sharpen, lasts a while. i went 2 months without taking it back to the stones when i first put my own bevels on one. i would have let you borrow my backup one but i recently sold it to one of my cooks (i had my main one converted to wa handle). maybe someone else might be kind enough to loan one to you? by the way let me know if you plan on selling your carbonext, one of my cooks is looking to upgrade from his miyabi.

Thanks. The masamoto VG was my first j-knife but i ended up selling it because I found that burr removal was very difficult and i often got a wire edge. I find the CN infinitely easier to sharpen and it takes a sharp, long-lasting edge.