Does this hypothetical knife exist?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannynyc

Reaction score
I've been very happy with my newly-acquired Konosuke Funayuki/Gyuto and use it for most everything, but still want a thicker knife for heavier tasks. I have a Carbonext for that purpose, but eventually I'd like to replace/upgrade it.

So here's the gyuto I'm looking for: flatter KS/Funayuki profile, non-laser (say >2.5mm at spine), semi-stainless akin to HD or carbonext. Basically the thicker flat sakai yusuke but in semi-stainless. Some people might suggest the ultimatum, but I'm not overly enthused about 19C27 based on what I've heard.

So, does this knife exist?

How about a knife that is actually available for sale now or in the near future?

Nothing wrong with it -- it's a great knife and I've long sung its praises. I just am craving something with a wa-handle and a bit less belly.

Yoshikane SLD & SKD 11
Gengetsu semi-stainless
Heiji semi-stainless
Gesshin Hide Ginsanko
Masamoto SW3124

Yoshikane SLD & SKD 11
Gengetsu semi-stainless
Heiji semi-stainless
Gesshin Hide Ginsanko
Masamoto SW3124

Hmm, what can anyone tell me about the Masamoto SW 3124? According to the photo in Masamoto's catalog at http://www.masamoto-sohonten.co.jp/catalog.html (entirely in Japanese, which I don't speak), this knife seems to have a KS-like profile. Anyone know what kind of steel it has and where one would even buy it? It appears to be on Rakuten (http://item.rakuten.co.jp/subaru/sw3124/) , but again, entirely in Japanese.

Yoshikane SLD & SKD 11
Gengetsu semi-stainless
Heiji semi-stainless
Gesshin Hide Ginsanko
Masamoto SW3124

Heiji for heavier tasks? How are you sharpening it?

Hmm, what can anyone tell me about the Masamoto SW 3124? According to the photo in Masamoto's catalog at http://www.masamoto-sohonten.co.jp/catalog.html (entirely in Japanese, which I don't speak), this knife seems to have a KS-like profile. Anyone know what kind of steel it has and where one would even buy it? It appears to be on Rakuten (http://item.rakuten.co.jp/subaru/sw3124/) , but again, entirely in Japanese.

Masamoto SW3124 have same KS profile with Swedish steel. you can special order from Korin with 10% off.... please PM Mari for more detail.

Heiji for heavier tasks? How are you sharpening it?
I only use Heiji gyuto once & never have chance to sharpening it. why you ask?? if I remember it right, Heiji has very similar profile & geometry with my Yoshikane SLD and I have no problem sharping it....

I only use Heiji gyuto once & never have chance to sharpening it. why you ask?? if I remember it right, Heiji has very similar profile & geometry with my Yoshikane SLD and I have no problem sharping it....

the reason he is asking is because Heijis are very thin behind the edge and at the point, so they aren't really suited for "heavier" tasks, unless you deliberately thicken the geometry.

the reason he is asking is because Heijis are very thin behind the edge and at the point, so they aren't really suited for "heavier" tasks, unless you deliberately thicken the geometry.

Precisely.

I've never used a Heiji, but I haven't read of or heard from a single owner who's said that it's a suitable knife for heavier tasks without doing something to change the original edge.

really?? I think yoshikane SLD just about same thin behind the edge with Heiji & I have no problem use my SLD for home cook's "heavier" tasks, though....left side yoshikane SLD/ right side Gengetsu

really?? I think yoshikane SLD just about same thin behind the edge with Heiji & I have no problem use my SLD for home cook's "heavier" tasks, though....left side yoshikane SLD/ right side Gengetsu

it really depends on what one means by "heavier" tasks, then. i would go cutting through chicken bones with any of my Heijis. i wouldn't have done that with my Gengetsu or Shig or the Yoshikane i owned, either.

I've been very happy with my newly-acquired Konosuke Funayuki/Gyuto and use it for most everything, but still want a thicker knife for heavier tasks. I have a Carbonext for that purpose, but eventually I'd like to replace/upgrade it.

So here's the gyuto I'm looking for: flatter KS/Funayuki profile, non-laser (say >2.5mm at spine), semi-stainless akin to HD or carbonext. Basically the thicker flat sakai yusuke but in semi-stainless. Some people might suggest the ultimatum, but I'm not overly enthused about 19C27 based on what I've heard.

So, does this knife exist?

I'm curious to know what you have heard about 19C27 that makes you feel "unenthused". IIRC, 19C27 is the steel that Suisin uses in the Inox honyaki series, and it is a very good steel. Now, if you have a lack of enthusiasm because of what you've heard about the Ultimatum, that's another thing.

BTW, if you'd like to try an Ultimatum in 19C27, I have one gathering dust in a drawer that you can try for the price of shipping. It might be what you're looking for. PM me if you're interested.

Rick

I'd like to know what you mean by "heavier tasks."

I'd like to know what you mean by "heavier tasks."

You know, barbells, rebar, that kind of thing.

Actually, just harder squashes, sweet potatoes, and other rock-hard root vegetables that lasers don't seem to like.

You know, barbells, rebar, that kind of thing.

Actually, just harder squashes, sweet potatoes, and other rock-hard root vegetables that lasers don't seem to like.

Heiji is great for those things, but expect wedging with any knife that is substantial at the spine.

+1. However, I also have no problem using a "laser" on hard squash. In fact, I prefer a thinner knife for these tasks.. What exactly happens to your KonHD when you try to cut squash with it?

+1 I've never really understood the image fragility concerning lasers. My Harner nakiri is the thinnest knife behind the edge that i will probably ever own (really, its crazy thin) and i downright have been abusing it for months with all manor of food. The edge is still completely perfect, not a microchip in sight. And it is also the best cutter for the hard items.

In that case, i think maybe an extra 2 gyutos would fill all the gaps :thumbsup:

Heiji is great for those things, but expect wedging with any knife that is substantial at the spine.

Do you own a heiji, Edipis?
I am guessing you do from the thread, but I don't think you have explicitly said so.
If so, do you like it?

What do you think of the CarboNext?

It's fine for what it is, IMHO.

It's a good transition knife for people coming from German knives because it's got the same kind of feel. It's a rather substantial feeling, western handled Japanese knife. The geometry is decent, but it's heavily biased for right handed users; it's got a asymmetric grind and edge (as you showed in your pictures); the steel seems to hold its edge a while. I haven't sharpened it yet so I can't comment on how it feels on stones, how sharp it can get or how long it holds a finer edge, but, it's a decent knife.

But, I don't like how it feels in the hand, I remember not liking the tip, the fit and finish is okay, and it's not a better performing knife than the Suisin Inox Western. I would still prefer the Suisin Inox Western if I were going to buy an entry level western handled Japanese knife as I've written here before because, IMHO, it's a better overall performing knife. If I were going to buy an entry level wa-handled knife, I would buy the Gesshin Uraku.

My opinion may slightly change after sharpening it, but I don't think it will change to the point of me recommending it over the Suisin Inox Western at that price point. A drastically sharper knife won't necessarily improve it to the point of eliminating the things I don't like about it - the balance, geometry, wedging, and overall performance. At a minimum, to improve the overall performance, I would imagine that it probably needs some bevel work beyond sharpening.

danny, check out the masamoto vg series, it's got a spectacular profile and the steel is very underrated. stainless, 2.5mm @ spine, tall at the heel, tapers to a very thin tip. easy as hell to sharpen, lasts a while. i went 2 months without taking it back to the stones when i first put my own bevels on one. i would have let you borrow my backup one but i recently sold it to one of my cooks (i had my main one converted to wa handle). maybe someone else might be kind enough to loan one to you? by the way let me know if you plan on selling your carbonext, one of my cooks is looking to upgrade from his miyabi.

cclin - have you used a masamoto sw3124? could you tell me more about it? is it basically an aeb-l version of the ks? if so that might be an interesting one to check out.

cclin - have you used a masamoto sw3124? could you tell me more about it? is it basically an aeb-l version of the ks? if so that might be an interesting one to check out.

panda, I've not use masamoto sw3124. the web page only state it is スウェーデン鋼(Swedish steel), I'm not sure is 13C26(AEB-L) or 19c27 steel. you can PM Mari(Korin) or e-mail Koki(JCK) for more information!

danny, check out the masamoto vg series, it's got a spectacular profile and the steel is very underrated. stainless, 2.5mm @ spine, tall at the heel, tapers to a very thin tip. easy as hell to sharpen, lasts a while. i went 2 months without taking it back to the stones when i first put my own bevels on one. i would have let you borrow my backup one but i recently sold it to one of my cooks (i had my main one converted to wa handle). maybe someone else might be kind enough to loan one to you? by the way let me know if you plan on selling your carbonext, one of my cooks is looking to upgrade from his miyabi.

Thanks. The masamoto VG was my first j-knife but i ended up selling it because I found that burr removal was very difficult and i often got a wire edge. I find the CN infinitely easier to sharpen and it takes a sharp, long-lasting edge.

Back