Need Your Opinion on a New Piece of Wood

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dream Burls

Reaction score
I just got my hands on this piece of Chechen Burl. As you can see, it has one live edge. I'd like to know how many of you would prefer the live edge to stay. I can probably get five handles out of this. Maybe I'll just keep a couple and cut the rest, but I'd like to see what your preferences are. After it's cut it still needs to dry a while before being stabilized so you won't see them in the store so fast. Thanks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just curious: Are you getting some of your wood from Hawaii? Nice pieces, you are building up a great stash of woods. As for your question, I will leave that to others...

Stefan

Thanks Stefan. I'll respond to your question in a PM - trade secrets you know. :zippedshut:

Yes live edge please

I knew you'd want it Mike. I have a piece of Pollyanna Burl with a live edge that I might be putting up tomorrow. It's a bit on the small size, but would work for a petty or parer for sure. I'll post it if I do.

I don't care for the live edge on a handle.

I like the edge on the more rustic knives. So I can go either way and still love it.

I think the live edge is awesome. I'd love to see a really nice knife with a uniquely imperfect shape of a handle. It's the little imperfections that make things so beautiful.

I think the natural edge looks cool, but I'm unsure of how it would feel on a handle. I can't remember seeing any examples of this. Maybe the right person could make it work, but I'm guessing it wouldn't necessarily be used.

Depending on the size of the piece, perhaps if you cut pieces a bit longer and included the natural edge, whoever bought it would have the option of using it or taking it off.

I think the natural edge looks cool, but I'm unsure of how it would feel on a handle. I can't remember seeing any examples of this. Maybe the right person could make it work, but I'm guessing it wouldn't necessarily be used.

Depending on the size of the piece, perhaps if you cut pieces a bit longer and included the natural edge, whoever bought it would have the option of using it or taking it off.

I've been thinking along this line too. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Back