Quantcast
Sashimi grade fish - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sashimi grade fish

So Catalina off shore is a great purveyor but I heard that they get a lot of their seafood from a purveyor called San Diego seafood. I work in San Diego in a professional kitchen and we use a few different purveyors. Catalina off shore is probably one of the best for specialty products and rare seafood.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

All raw fish served fresh in the USA must be frozen first. The only exception is tuna. I wasn't aware that the fish had to be frozen at the site of the catch.

Do you have a citation for this? Are you talking about state or federal guidelines?

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    All raw fish served fresh in the USA must be frozen first. The only exception is tuna. I wasn't aware that the fish had to be frozen at the site of the catch.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

There are FDA and state guidelines. FDA guidelines are for the number of parasitic cysts per weight of fish with recommendations for freezing to deal with parasites. But in general, the flesh of fresh tuna is considered very clean from parasites. Do you know any restaurants serving fresh raw never-frozen fish (other than tuna) in the USA? We're all at the mercy of the food preparers.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    There are FDA and state guidelines. FDA guidelines are for the number of parasitic cysts per weight of fish with recommendations for freezing to deal with parasites. But in general, the flesh of fresh tuna is considered very clean from parasites. Do you know any restaurants serving fresh raw never-frozen fish (other than tuna) in the USA? We're all at the mercy of the food preparers.
    The FDA guidelines are not mandatory. That's why I was asking. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/Gu.../UCM252393.pdf

I understand that tunas are generally considered cleaner, but I've seen plenty that had soft spots. These types of soft spots were also found in farmed salmon.

And, of course, I know a number of restaurants serving fresh, never raw, never-frozen fish. The sushi bar I went to last week does.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Sponsors
    actually... tuna is the one that needs freezing in my experience... many other kinds of fish are fine without freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    actually... tuna is the one that needs freezing in my experience... many other kinds of fish are fine without freezing.
    Can you say why Jon?

And, with large fish, what's the thinking about mercury and other trace heavy metals in them?

Sponsors
    honestly not sure... chefs in japan tell me that its because tuna has a lot of parisites and freezing kills them

It used to b required for Salmon served raw in the states...frozen and held at -4f for min 24 hrs to kill anikasis in case its present, I believe its cause salmon migrates to fresh water in its life cycle...

Tuna has fewer parasites but by no means are they parasite "free". The vast majority of Tuna is frozen either way since logistically it would be impossible to have a consistent supply. IIR Morimoto has dedicated Tuna freezers.
    mhlee is correct that the FDA does not enforce Federal guide lines on restaurants, however most state health departments adopt the FDA/USDA guide lines. I'm sure any of us that have spent any time in this Industry know how skewed enforcement can be from region to region or even inspector to inspector.
    Freezing won't change Mercury content and most pelagic species do contain mercury.
    Freshwater species have issues as well. IIR there were serious out breaks with Whitefish/Pike in Gefilte fish in the past.
    In regards to Salmon Googlu up -Chicago/Salmon/Tapeworm and find the article about the Chap that needed a 9' worm surgically removed from his bum.
    This is an old article but still interesting;

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/ny...ze.html?src=pm
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?