Quantcast
Recommendation knife for wife - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendation knife for wife

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    My wife like's santokus, nakiris, and the occasional petty.
    Those are the wife's knives too.

Though I have a fondness for santokus as well. I like the blade height.

I got my girlfriend a 210mm Heiji santoku in semi stainless, she loves it, I like it a lot as well
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Hail to Heiji Semi Stainless Santoku 210mm ..

Love mine.

I wish mine was kuro-kitaeji
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

If you're looking for a santoku, make sure it's not deadly flat nor too short. The Hiromoto 190 has a nice little curve. From the pic I would say that's equally true for that Misono Swedish, but I never handled that one.
    If I compare the 180 santoku and gyuto I would say the santoku has a much larger contact area with the board, and too much of the gyuto is lost with the curve.

http://www.misono-hamono.com/SWEDEN/santoku.html

yes i would go for 180 ss santoku

Here the stainless Misono 440 series.

http://www.misono-hamono.com/440/gyutou.html

my experience: instead of a knife you better get her a pair of shoes, she'll be happier with those!

topic-related: i wouldn't recommend anything bigger than 190mm. a santoku could be fine. i actually prefer gyutos but i also have a hiromoto santoku in 190mm in use which i do like. the handle is quite slim, so it should be good for small hands... and i recently bought a sabatier knife for my mother in law, rather short one, petty-esque i would say... she loves that... the bigger knives are smth that men prefer, i guess?!

I have been giving 180mm gyutos as gift to relatives and female friends. All have been received very favorably. Most seems to transition from rocking to push cutting rather quickly, the height (37-38mm) offers enough clearance, and the pointy tip allows for tip work.

I never understood the fad for a santoku. Too flat a profile, not easy to work with the tip. I wonder if people like it for the name more than function. There is guy in Washington state who named his "Japanese" line of knives, Santoku Line.

180mm gyuto in AEB-L with a custom heat treatment will offer you the top notch sharpness and edge retention, ease of maintenance (touch ups on 8K diamond plate between sharpening can extend time between sharpening to a several months), plus being stainless is a great thing for folks who are not used to carbon knives.

In general, I like to keep things simple. I don't see the point of super wear resistant steels for a home kitchen. Simple but good steels (suitable for kitchen knives), practical profiles (all lengh of the knife - tip, middle, heel, can be used effectively) ease of maintenance and ease of sharpening that results in a long life of a knife - is my philosophy.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Thanks for all the suggestions, will definitely look into santoku. We actually have a Shun Santoku she likes to use, which is nice and sharp but I'm less than impressed with their VG10 as it's chipped and rolled easily. For those that primarily use Santoku's do you find the lack of tip to be an issue?? - thats the main reason I was thinking of a gyuto because I actually really like the height of Santokus for transfer. We have our chopping board on the island and she has to pivot 180 to get the food onto the stove.

Also can I get some brand recs since im new not sure what the most popular brands are? Going to check out Yusuke, Gesshin, Misono, and Masamoto so far

+ Reply to Thread