Recommendation knife for wife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ar11

Reaction score
I'm looking for a knife as a gift for my wife. Keep in mind she's petite, 5'0" small hands

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? Gyuto 210 or 240. Japanese handles. Would love a supersteel with great edge retention and hardness. I plan on doing the maintenance

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? Gift for my wife, to replace the Kai Commanche chef's knife

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- Want something beautiful for the kitchen, hot pink kai looks like a toy
Edge Quality/Retention- Kai came pretty sharp out of the box but retention obviously isn't that great
Ease of Use - Would like something agile but tall enough for moving food
Comfort- Wife has small hands so looking for something comfy

What grip do you use? Not sure what she uses

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Chops and slices

Where do you store them? IKEA knife block (need to get a new one)

Have you ever oiled a handle? I've oiled a gunstock not sure if thats the same thing

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? Large Bamboo board

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? Just bought a Spyderco sharpmaker. Will probably get other stones or wickededge down the line

Have they ever been sharpened? I just started sharpening a few of the knives

What is your budget? $500 Max, but would love something $200-$350

What do you cook and how often? Thai/Chinese food

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
Japanese with Japanese Handles

You'll get a lot of recomendations if you're willing to spend $500. Which would be a waste of money, if you buy one knife. Sounds like your wife will like Wa handles (japanese handles). There are hundreds of choices.

I'd suggest a 210mm Gyuto by Yusuke. Can be found on ebay. I think you could get one for about $175. It will easy to sharpen, lite to handle, screaming sharp and will have a small handle. Spend the rest of your money on a few bench stones and a course on how to sharpen knives. Remember, you can own a $32,000 bob Kramer but if its not sharp, it won't bring you any enjoyment.

Just a word of caution about buying the wife a knife for a present, especially if it's a major like an anniversary or birthday. I did that once for Christmas and while she liked them she was not thrilled about getting (her word, not mine) "hardware" for a gift. She compared it to getting a toaster. I know, I know, we at KKF put knives on a pedestal (and rightly so), but make sure your wife feels the same way or you might be wishing you bought her a piece of jewelry instead.

Just a word of caution about buying the wife a knife for a present, especially if it's a major like an anniversary or birthday. I did that once for Christmas and while she liked them she was not thrilled about getting (her word, not mine) "hardware" for a gift. She compared it to getting a toaster. I know, I know, we at KKF put knives on a pedestal (and rightly so), but make sure your wife feels the same way or you might be wishing you bought her a piece of jewelry instead.

I hear ya! after many anniversaries I've learned the rule is ask them what they want, and then get that EXACTLY what they said. Surprises are usually a dud. Actually this knife would be a gift "just because", i got an unexpected bonus the other day and decided to upgrade our crap knives since she does some awesome cooking.

thx for suggestions guys keep em coming

As someone who is 4"10, anything bigger than 210mm might be a struggle to use. My main knife is 210mm and it's honestly the perfect size. 180mm works if everything if portioned for you, but for the occasional melon or cabbage something a little bigger is easier. Granted I've met female cooks my height using 270mm, but you know for non-cooks.

My eyes skipped right over the "knife" in the title--had me worried there for a minute! :D

I primarily use my 180s. The proportions just feel better for my short and stumpy self. My 210s tend to spend more time in the drawer unless there's a big roast or melon to go after. Except for the Tanaka SG2 ironwood I got recently--just incredibly comfortable for smaller & shorter types, although it probably doesn't have the height you're looking for. What about a Yoshikane SLD? And (let me get under cover before the stones start flying) if having a tall knife is important to you, how about the 180 SLD santoku? I don't have the santoku, but I really like the petty--very lightweight, comfy for small hands, and knock down gorgeous. A little pricey, though.

My eyes skipped right over the "knife" in the title--had me worried there for a minute! :D

I primarily use my 180s. The proportions just feel better for my short and stumpy self. My 210s tend to spend more time in the drawer unless there's a big roast or melon to go after. Except for the Tanaka SG2 ironwood I got recently--just incredibly comfortable for smaller & shorter types, although it probably doesn't have the height you're looking for. What about a Yoshikane SLD? And (let me get under cover before the stones start flying) if having a tall knife is important to you, how about the 180 SLD santoku? I don't have the santoku, but I really like the petty--very lightweight, comfy for small hands, and knock down gorgeous. A little pricey, though.
I'll second Lucretia's suggestion! I know lots KKF members dislike Santoku; however, I'm fine with santoku's profile & it is most popular knife in Japan household. Santoku is very nimble for small space or woman use. moreover, I also like my Yoshikane SLD 240mm gyuto very much, I think yoshikane SLD santoku or 180mm gyuto is great for home cook.

Bought my wife the ZDP-189 santoku@JCK, she loves it. Edge can get very sharp, lasts a long time, fun knife for sure.

Hail to Heiji Semi Stainless Santoku 210mm ..

Love mine.

If you're looking for a santoku, make sure it's not deadly flat nor too short. The Hiromoto 190 has a nice little curve. From the pic I would say that's equally true for that Misono Swedish, but I never handled that one.
If I compare the 180 santoku and gyuto I would say the santoku has a much larger contact area with the board, and too much of the gyuto is lost with the curve.

http://www.misono-hamono.com/SWEDEN/santoku.html

my experience: instead of a knife you better get her a pair of shoes, she'll be happier with those! :biggrin:

topic-related: i wouldn't recommend anything bigger than 190mm. a santoku could be fine. i actually prefer gyutos but i also have a hiromoto santoku in 190mm in use which i do like. the handle is quite slim, so it should be good for small hands... and i recently bought a sabatier knife for my mother in law, rather short one, petty-esque i would say... she loves that... the bigger knives are smth that men prefer, i guess?! :scratchhead:

I have been giving 180mm gyutos as gift to relatives and female friends. All have been received very favorably. Most seems to transition from rocking to push cutting rather quickly, the height (37-38mm) offers enough clearance, and the pointy tip allows for tip work.

I never understood the fad for a santoku. Too flat a profile, not easy to work with the tip. I wonder if people like it for the name more than function. There is guy in Washington state who named his "Japanese" line of knives, Santoku Line. :D

180mm gyuto in AEB-L with a custom heat treatment will offer you the top notch sharpness and edge retention, ease of maintenance (touch ups on 8K diamond plate between sharpening can extend time between sharpening to a several months), plus being stainless is a great thing for folks who are not used to carbon knives.

In general, I like to keep things simple. I don't see the point of super wear resistant steels for a home kitchen. Simple but good steels (suitable for kitchen knives), practical profiles (all lengh of the knife - tip, middle, heel, can be used effectively) ease of maintenance and ease of sharpening that results in a long life of a knife - is my philosophy.

M

Thanks for all the suggestions, will definitely look into santoku. We actually have a Shun Santoku she likes to use, which is nice and sharp but I'm less than impressed with their VG10 as it's chipped and rolled easily. For those that primarily use Santoku's do you find the lack of tip to be an issue?? - thats the main reason I was thinking of a gyuto because I actually really like the height of Santokus for transfer. We have our chopping board on the island and she has to pivot 180 to get the food onto the stove.

Also can I get some brand recs since im new not sure what the most popular brands are? Going to check out Yusuke, Gesshin, Misono, and Masamoto so far

i'm with marko. you get the length of a santoku and the versatility of a gyuto.

I have been giving 180mm gyutos as gift to relatives and female friends. All have been received very favorably. Most seems to transition from rocking to push cutting rather quickly, the height (37-38mm) offers enough clearance, and the pointy tip allows for tip work.

I never understood the fad for a santoku. Too flat a profile, not easy to work with the tip. I wonder if people like it for the name more than function. There is guy in Washington state who named his "Japanese" line of knives, Santoku Line. :D

180mm gyuto in AEB-L with a custom heat treatment will offer you the top notch sharpness and edge retention, ease of maintenance (touch ups on 8K diamond plate between sharpening can extend time between sharpening to a several months), plus being stainless is a great thing for folks who are not used to carbon knives.

In general, I like to keep things simple. I don't see the point of super wear resistant steels for a home kitchen. Simple but good steels (suitable for kitchen knives), practical profiles (all lengh of the knife - tip, middle, heel, can be used effectively) ease of maintenance and ease of sharpening that results in a long life of a knife - is my philosophy.

M

This sounds fantastic. I've been looking for something to wean my wife off her 6" Wusthof chef for months. I've considered a range of deeper 150-160mm petties (Asai, Masakage, both around 34mm), a Carter Funayuki, and some smaller gyutos -- but the petties are really not great on a board, the perfect Carter is a bit scarce, and most of the shorter gyutos are still too blocky/fat. 38mm is really perfect, and I'd rather stick with a good stainless for this one.

In a Western handle, Hattori has made a 150mmx35mm gyuto, though I haven't seen them available anytime recently. There's also an Akifusa 180mmx39mm gyuto with a nice slim profile and good steel. I think an Akifusa is at the top of my list, though now that I know Marko can do a custom....

;)

How many people who are recommending santokus, have actually used them (besides the members who clearly wrote that they or their wife/partner have used them)? I'm curious because I've used a few and don't think there's any advantage to getting a santoku over a gyuto. Personally, I think the worst design characteristic of the santoku is the tip; you can't see it very well.

I would recommend a Carter Funayuki since the OP is willing to pay up to $300. They are short at that price, but they flat out cut. I gave one to my ex and it made cooking so much more enjoyable for her. It's light, stiff, feels durable when used, great for cutting everything, a good height and needs only minimal maintenance. The White #1 also sharpens up quickly, although it doesn't keep an edge that long.

My wife picked out the prettiest one. Mr. Itou 180 gyuto. Stainless.

I am 5'10" and use 180mm gyuto every day when I cook for myself only. When I cook a for several people, I use 225mm gyuto for all prep work. Rarely I reach for 240mm or 270mm these days. I find 180mm just a perfect knife for small cutting task (Thanks to Steve Cipcich for enlightening me on this).

I don't want to sound overly opinionated, but from a maker's perspective and heavy home user (and I use my knives and know how to evaluate them), santoku is a product of marketing, rather than design - height, profile, tip all are off. It's basically a nakiri with a dropped spine and slightly raised tip. Gyuto's tip positioned much higher, and the resulting profile therefore is different. On thing you can't do with santoku is to rock cut effectively, while you can do it even with a flat-profile gyuto.

Anyway, take my advice for whatever it is worth.

M

The lines between santoku and gyuto profiles have really been blured.
In the sense of the original sabtoku designes, what you're saying may ne true, but I have seen plenty of santokus with profiles of that work fine and where perhaps even designed for rock chopping (the op's shun being one of them).
I've also seen plenty of gyutos with very flat dead spots near the heel that make the dreaded "clunk" if you bring the heal all the way down.

I think that you are over generalizing.
I also think that low tips can be just as easy to use if not easier.

if it was for my self i would take the gyuto but for some strange reason the ladies really like the santoku knives :scratchhead:

Latest posts

Back