Quantcast
Recommendation knife for wife - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation knife for wife

Thanks, Lefty! I do like my purty knives!

How comfortable a knife feels in your hand is such a personal thing, and one of the most important things, IMO. Trying it in person is the best way to find out what's most comfortable to you (or your spouse). I've looked at knives that were wonderful on paper, then when I picked them up it was Eeeeuuuuwww! They may have been fantastic knives for someone, but not for me. And knives that might be fun for a home cook chopping up an onion and a potato or 2 might not work for a professional.

When I'm trying to decide which knife to use for a particular meal, I make a decision based on which one will do the best job and be the most comfortable for the required prep--and it varies considerably, even between gyutos of the same length. And then make a final decision based on my mood. Little black dress and pearls, the Shige. Brass bra and winged helmet, it's gotta be the Rader.

Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Your knives are pretty nice actually.

Minus the santokus.

I just....I just can't admit defeat. EVER!
    "Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski

No one has ever cooked a meal for me in a winged helmet, let alone a brass bra. I still take out a very sharp Santoku just because I'm in the mood. Let your wife pick her own knife after you narrow down some choices.

For someone her size, I would go with a 180mm gyuto. There are plenty of options that are aesthetically pleasing, enough so that it will be seen as a sincere gift.
    -Matt

The way I did it made the most sense to me. I introduced my wife to many different styles, very casually. I'd go, "oh, check out this new knife Murray just sent me". She'd go, "meh", or "ooh, pretty!". I'd take note. Then, I'd watch to see what she'd grab when making a snack, or dinner. I'd make a mental note. After about two years of trying to figure out what was best for her, Pierre sent over a carbon damascus parer that she loved. However, the carbon blade was a deal breaker. So, I hit Pierre up and ordered one of the tougher stainless "damascus" blades he had laying around, and we ordered some pink scales (when I fell head over heels for her, she was wearing hot pink pants and rainbow toe socks, to give you an idea of what she's like). I then said, "Pierre wants to make you a knife." Do you like this handle or this handle better? She chose and agreed that it was fun picking out the materials. When all was said and done, she got her first custom knife, from a good friend, and it really is perfect for her. Every time she goes, "Tom, when was the last time you sharpened my knife?", I get a little tingle of joy.

Long story short, get her in on the decision, make it fun, and if she's not into it, she's not into it. Don't force it. Believe it or not, they really are just knives....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    when I fell head over heels for her, she was wearing hot pink pants
    hot pink pants, or pink hot pants???

I see a santoku essentially as a cut-down (or sawed-off) 240mm gyuto - just the front end and the hind end, with the middle bit missing, matched with the handle from a 210mm-sized gyuto. Works for me when I feel like using a short knife with a wide blade/clearance. There are times though when I want to do tip work and that's when I reach for a 210mm suji or gyuto.

Wondering what the end result was for the OP. Looking to get my mom a new knife. As she gets older I'm think a smaller, nimbler knife may be preferable to something too big like a 240 gyuto.

My mom just got the Kramer zwilling 8" carbon chefs knife. She loves the thing. She's never had a carbon knife before so that's a new one for her. Now I just have to get her some stones and maybe I can get her addicted too!

[IMG][/IMG]

She even forced the patina! I found this smoking deal for this knife at 160 brand new on the bay.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Mom's patina is pretty cool

+ Reply to Thread