Quantcast
Recommendation knife for wife
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendation knife for wife

Recommendation knife for wife

I'm looking for a knife as a gift for my wife. Keep in mind she's petite, 5'0" small hands

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? Gyuto 210 or 240. Japanese handles. Would love a supersteel with great edge retention and hardness. I plan on doing the maintenance

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? Gift for my wife, to replace the Kai Commanche chef's knife

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics- Want something beautiful for the kitchen, hot pink kai looks like a toy
    Edge Quality/Retention- Kai came pretty sharp out of the box but retention obviously isn't that great
    Ease of Use - Would like something agile but tall enough for moving food
    Comfort- Wife has small hands so looking for something comfy

What grip do you use? Not sure what she uses

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Chops and slices

Where do you store them? IKEA knife block (need to get a new one)

Have you ever oiled a handle? I've oiled a gunstock not sure if thats the same thing

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? Large Bamboo board

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? Just bought a Spyderco sharpmaker. Will probably get other stones or wickededge down the line

Have they ever been sharpened? I just started sharpening a few of the knives

What is your budget? $500 Max, but would love something $200-$350

What do you cook and how often? Thai/Chinese food

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
    Japanese with Japanese Handles

You'll get a lot of recomendations if you're willing to spend $500. Which would be a waste of money, if you buy one knife. Sounds like your wife will like Wa handles (japanese handles). There are hundreds of choices.

I'd suggest a 210mm Gyuto by Yusuke. Can be found on ebay. I think you could get one for about $175. It will easy to sharpen, lite to handle, screaming sharp and will have a small handle. Spend the rest of your money on a few bench stones and a course on how to sharpen knives. Remember, you can own a $32,000 bob Kramer but if its not sharp, it won't bring you any enjoyment.

Just a word of caution about buying the wife a knife for a present, especially if it's a major like an anniversary or birthday. I did that once for Christmas and while she liked them she was not thrilled about getting (her word, not mine) "hardware" for a gift. She compared it to getting a toaster. I know, I know, we at KKF put knives on a pedestal (and rightly so), but make sure your wife feels the same way or you might be wishing you bought her a piece of jewelry instead.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

180mm chef in AEB-L.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Burls View Post
    Just a word of caution about buying the wife a knife for a present, especially if it's a major like an anniversary or birthday. I did that once for Christmas and while she liked them she was not thrilled about getting (her word, not mine) "hardware" for a gift. She compared it to getting a toaster. I know, I know, we at KKF put knives on a pedestal (and rightly so), but make sure your wife feels the same way or you might be wishing you bought her a piece of jewelry instead.
    I hear ya! after many anniversaries I've learned the rule is ask them what they want, and then get that EXACTLY what they said. Surprises are usually a dud. Actually this knife would be a gift "just because", i got an unexpected bonus the other day and decided to upgrade our crap knives since she does some awesome cooking.

thx for suggestions guys keep em coming

As someone who is 4"10, anything bigger than 210mm might be a struggle to use. My main knife is 210mm and it's honestly the perfect size. 180mm works if everything if portioned for you, but for the occasional melon or cabbage something a little bigger is easier. Granted I've met female cooks my height using 270mm, but you know for non-cooks.

My eyes skipped right over the "knife" in the title--had me worried there for a minute!

I primarily use my 180s. The proportions just feel better for my short and stumpy self. My 210s tend to spend more time in the drawer unless there's a big roast or melon to go after. Except for the Tanaka SG2 ironwood I got recently--just incredibly comfortable for smaller & shorter types, although it probably doesn't have the height you're looking for. What about a Yoshikane SLD? And (let me get under cover before the stones start flying) if having a tall knife is important to you, how about the 180 SLD santoku? I don't have the santoku, but I really like the petty--very lightweight, comfy for small hands, and knock down gorgeous. A little pricey, though.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    My eyes skipped right over the "knife" in the title--had me worried there for a minute!

I primarily use my 180s. The proportions just feel better for my short and stumpy self. My 210s tend to spend more time in the drawer unless there's a big roast or melon to go after. Except for the Tanaka SG2 ironwood I got recently--just incredibly comfortable for smaller & shorter types, although it probably doesn't have the height you're looking for. What about a Yoshikane SLD? And (let me get under cover before the stones start flying) if having a tall knife is important to you, how about the 180 SLD santoku? I don't have the santoku, but I really like the petty--very lightweight, comfy for small hands, and knock down gorgeous. A little pricey, though.
    I'll second Lucretia's suggestion! I know lots KKF members dislike Santoku; however, I'm fine with santoku's profile & it is most popular knife in Japan household. Santoku is very nimble for small space or woman use. moreover, I also like my Yoshikane SLD 240mm gyuto very much, I think yoshikane SLD santoku or 180mm gyuto is great for home cook.
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

My wife like's santokus, nakiris, and the occasional petty.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Bought my wife the ZDP-189 santoku@JCK, she loves it. Edge can get very sharp, lasts a long time, fun knife for sure.