Quantcast
Recommendation knife for wife - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation knife for wife

Quote Originally Posted by ar11 View Post
    Thanks for again for all the recommendations. I really wanted this knife to be a surprise for my wife, but based on feedback might be good for her to go hands on if we have time. JKI is about an hour away if we can manage the drive thru LA traffic
    weekends are better traffic-wise

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    How many people who are recommending santokus, have actually used them (besides the members who clearly wrote that they or their wife/partner have used them)? I'm curious because I've used a few and don't think there's any advantage to getting a santoku over a gyuto. Personally, I think the worst design characteristic of the santoku is the tip; you can't see it very well.
    My thoughts exactly. I actually spent a year or two with an inexpensive santoku. The profile wasn't for me and I would never purchase one again. I don't know why they are popular in Japan or what highly budgeted marketing was involved but the reason why they became popular in the U.S.A is because Rachael Ray started heavily promoting them. I think Martha Stewart did for a while also.

Somewhere along the line the Julia Child wannabes became the Rachel Ray wannabes.
    "Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski

My wife is a huge fan of Kyocera ceramics. They just seem less intimidating to her. They have blunt tips, and are extremely light and nimble. They are quite sharp, and if you purchase a sharpener are easy to keep that way.

Their $25 peeler is hard to match; very comfortable and great profile, too. We have three; plus a chef, santoku, nakiri, serrated slicer and sashimi slicer.

Also, she doesn't get lectured for leaving them wet in the sink.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Before my time, men weren't even allowed in the kitchen except to get a beer, and when the wife took solo missions to visit sick relatives or newly born nieces and nephews. Now we hear "less intimidating" and similar crap when it comes to santokus and other knives. Women need to go back to having a old hickory in the drawer that has gained years of patina.
    "Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by ar11 View Post
    http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/pro/gyuto.htm

Found this Watanabe 180mm Gyuto - any good? comes out to around $220 shipped to US. Seems to fit the profile of what I'm looking for and what people are recommending.
    I like it...gets wicked sharp; isn't overly reactive, and is nicely thin behind the edge. It's actually a little santoku'esque....

Name:  394610_10200352488911490_822512357_n.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  27.3 KB

Here it is minus the kurouchi, and with some Mike Henry shoes....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Oh, boo hoo hoo, I'm a woman with a couple santokus I like, so I must be intimidated by knives.

Name:  Intimidate.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  25.4 KB
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Those santokus are obviously pale from a lack of light exposure. The real question is....how long did they get used before they were forever put away in the drawer???

The santokus actually get used on a regular basis. Hubby in particular uses the Ryusen. It's a nice, versatile knife, good for small things and sometimes the stainless (sg2) is a plus.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

I kept a Shun santoku for my wife to use. She's happy ergo my knives are happy.

The funny thing is, Lucretia has some of the nicest knives of the whole group. I don't have anything that touches the Rader, or Burke.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com