Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suien VC Cleaver profile.

Suien VC Cleaver profile.

Hello! I currently have a CCK 1102, and like the size, weight and edge profile. What I don't care for is the cheap handle and, more importantly, the steel. It doesn't hold an edge for very long and I'd like to upgrade to a cleaver with better steel.

I have a question to those that own them though, is how is the profile? Looking at JapaneseKnifeImports photos it looks too curved, while the JCK website looks like a much flatter profile, which is what I am looking for. So, which is it? Or has the knife changed over time, or is there a lot of variation in the batches? I also saw some photos that Andy777 posted a long time ago (that I can't seem to find now) with the Suien on top of the CCK 1103, and that seemed to show the Suien as having a pretty flat profile. So, owners -- what is it? I don't think I would want to flatten the curve as it is also 5-10mm shorter than the CCK I have now. Any thoughts?

I don't own one so I'm not sure of the current profile, but I have a word of caution for someone coming from a CCK. The knife you have, is thin. I've handled a good number of cleavers and the CCK's are definitely the laserbeams, but as you noted the steel is not super great and the handles are passable. This means that if you were to get a suien or some other #6 cleaver, it will almost certainly be heavier and thicker. This is not really a bad thing, as a well made knife will still glide through food just as easily. The extra weight also helps the edge fall right through food.

Just keep in mind that when going beyond the CCK they look and feel a little different.
    - Sean

Very true about the CCKs being super-thin. I haven't used a Suien VC, but I have a few very nice cleavers that handle great, feel great, cut great but aren't as thin or as light as a CCK. I don't know what's out there that matches the CCK in terms of weight but with better steel.
    Len

Suien, is very nice cleaver. As far as I remember mine , it was not that thick it is lighter than standard #6.
    One thing that you need to keep in mind is that they have more belly than usual.

Sugimoto and CCK handles are far superior in usage compare to those fancy ho and yo handles. But ho and yo handles make excellent display.

I have CCK 12xx & 13xx, and have never had/held a Suien....That said there is usually much more variation in the appearance of web photos than there is in the actual knives, so hopefully a few Suien owners will jump in and describe their profiles. And if handles (and F&F) are generally considered an after thought thru out J-knife production, handles on cleavers are truely the red headed step child...

To improve the edge retention on your CCK, try sharpening at a higher angle...pretty sure this is not hi-end J steel quality & hardness...

I find the nicer wa handles on other cleavers quite nice, actually. A little more comfortable than the CCK one, but that's primarily because of the stamped metal ferrule on the CCK rather than the handle itself. But the CCK handle (and ferrule) are perfectly acceptable for use, I think.
    Len

Here's a tracing of the Suien next to a ruler for comparison:

Thanks for the replies... I'm not too concerned with the handle that much -- what I most dislike about it are the 4 "rings" that are in the handle. My first sharpening I grabbed the knife with stone/muddy hands and now the rings are nicely stained! It doesn't affect the function of the knife, it just looks dirty all the time.

I am much more concerned about the steel and the profile, so I am hoping some owners of both will comment!

I don't have my Suien anymore, but here are some older pics. It wasn't a flat profile like the CCKs look to be.

The Kagayaki next to it also had a round profile when I first got it, and I had to put in a lot of work flattening it out to the pic below. Not sure if I'd want to do that again though.