Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suien VC Cleaver profile.

Sorry for Hijacking the post a bit.

I don´t have a Suien nor CCK so I can´t comment on this but I am considering buying my first carbon cleaver (thinking of Sugimoto nº6) and I am also worried about the edge profile of this as I recently read a post on another forum where a member (CCKdisciple) complainted about the curved edge of his Sugimoto. I have seen old pics of this cleaver and it seems pretty flat.

I do like flat cleavers and I wouldn´t want to spend that money in one that it is not. Has anyone bought a Sugi recently and can comment? I would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by malacara View Post
    Sorry for Hijacking the post a bit.

I don´t have a Suien nor CCK so I can´t comment on this but I am considering buying my first carbon cleaver (thinking of Sugimoto nº6) and I am also worried about the edge profile of this as I recently read a post on another forum where a member (CCKdisciple) complainted about the curved edge of his Sugimoto. I have seen old pics of this cleaver and it seems pretty flat.

I do like flat cleavers and I wouldn´t want to spend that money in one that it is not. Has anyone bought a Sugi recently and can comment? I would appreciate it.
    Most Chinese cleaver, if properly made, should have a slight belly to the edge profile. If you really want a dead flat cleaver, maybe consider a Menkiri or grind a cleaver to a flat profile?

He might not mean perfectly flat. I like just a slight bit of belly on mine, but far less than what you seen in the suien profile. Besides, it's probably easier to grind a bit of belly into a perfectly flat cleaver than to make straight a very curvy one.
    - Sean

Moritaka looks pretty flat to me but only seen it in pictures

He might not mean perfectly flat. I like just a slight bit of belly on mine, but far less than what you seen in the suien profile.
    That´s exactly what I meant. I like a bit of belly on my cleavers as well but not as much as the Suien (and I dont know if also the Sugimoto) looks to have.

Moritaka and Ashi Hamono take custom orders. If you say 'make it flat' they will make it flat. If I'm not mistaken, Moritaka's timeframe for filling an order is around two months; Ashi Hamono will finish it in less than a fortnight (that's about how long mine took). With Moritaka, you only get a choice between Blue#2 and Blue Super but with Ashi you can choose either White#2 or Swedish Stainless.

Hmm... thanks for the replies... I think I might have to ditch the budget and spend the refund on something a little different

What we need is someone to take scale photos of knife profiles and put them into a database for comparison! Any ways, maybe I'll have to check out the Mizuno Tanrenjo cleaver... it's a beautiful knife.

mateo

What we need is someone to take scale photos of knife profiles and put them into a database for comparison! Any ways, maybe I'll have to check out the Mizuno Tanrenjo cleaver... it's a beautiful knife.
    I have got the Swedish steel Mizuno and it is an amazing cleaver, it is pretty flat and also extremely thin. It feels just right on the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by malacara View Post
    I have got the Swedish steel Mizuno and it is an amazing cleaver, it is pretty flat and also extremely thin. It feels just right on the hand.
    Yeah, that's the #6 right? It looks like (on JCK) that both the carbon and Swedish are #6, but the carbon has more belly to it. I'm not considering stainless for this, especially after hearing Andy's absolutely glowing review of Mizuno's carbon steel (10.5 out of 10 on his scale :P) -- the cleaver-master also gave the Mizuno a 9.5 for edge profile, while the Suien got 7.5, I'm assuming that's because of the big belly. Either way, Suien to Mizuno = big step up in $$...

What does the #6 mean? Sharing the same blade profile w/ Sugimoto #6?