Thread: Credit Card Sized Sharpening Stones

Credit Card Sized Sharpening Stones

I was just looking through a Japan Woodworker catalog and saw these pocket stones by EzeLap.

EzeLap Pocket Stones

I wouldn't use them for my own knives, but when I visit someone else and they have sh**y knives then they might come in handy. I often travel with a sharpened Forschner just in case I am called on for cooking duty, but this pocket-sized option might be better.

Has anyone tried these before? They only go up to 1200, but that would be fine for most normal cutlery to get reasonably sharp.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I have one from DMT sharpening diamond card it works good but hard to hold i would say a double sided diafold by DMT.
    i take it with me for other peoples knife's where i might get pulled into a task.

Is this the one you have?

http://www.amazon.com/Sharpener-Diaf.../dp/B00004WFTS

I was thinking of getting a small piece of wood to mount the card on or a rock-hard felt block to give some clearance.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Yea that's the one good for those block sets
    i like your idea with the felt. but your stuck with one grit and you can always use newspaper.

Or a cinder block and the back of a plate rim

I keep a coarse and fine dmt version in my wallet, I find them really useful on other peoples cheap soft knives. They have made helping out in the kitchen bearable on several occasions. If I know I'm going to be pulled into kitchen duty I'll take a king 1k/6k though

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    ... If I know I'm going to be pulled into kitchen duty I'll take a king 1k/6k though
    If you know, why not just bring a knife? It weighs less than the king stone.

I usually carry the dual sided EZE-LAP diamond hone that looks like a folded butterfly knife. It has gotten me a few strange looks in cooking schools around the world but I never count on other people's knives being sharp enough.

Quote Originally Posted by evanjohnson View Post
    If you know, why not just bring a knife? It weighs less than the king stone.
    Two reasons, I travel mostly by public transport, and am less concerned about carrying a stone than knives, secondly it's a chance to leave them with sharp knives, hopefully one step closer to them understanding what all the fuss is about as well

I absolutely love knives, but this really proves how nuts we all are! Haha
    While in Europe, I sharpened up basically every knife I came across on a little oil stone that my in-laws keep in their house there.
    Now, whenever I'm with the family and there's a dull knife, they expect me to perform miracles. I have to admit, I love it, especially since my skills have improved tenfold since then!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com