Quantcast
Cutting knife blanks from a sheet - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cutting knife blanks from a sheet

I dont have a plasma, just a torch. Much bigger heated zone I am sure. But 5/32" is pretty thin, it would cut pretty quick.

2 saw horses, a couple of clamps, and a sawzall?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Not a giant stomp shear. Handheld shears on thin sheet metal yes, but a stomp shear or break will cut them cleanly.
    I was talking about a stomp shear. It will cut cleanly but thinner strips tend to corkscrew.

if you shear cpm steels at room temp you risk shattering the sheet (ask aldo about that or carpenter for that matter)

sawzalls seem to move the blade too fast for a a nice cut and blade life is jsut plain bad

safest way tho a bit slow depending on the settings is that little 4x6 tupe saw witha big thick table put o it and a seat in the vice part you jsut have to know how to mark the steel so as to deal with ath only 4 inch wide max cut

i did get lucky and picked up my "new" saw used and for about half price (USA built tools are not cheap)

Thanks everybody. Just one more question.
    If there is warping after cutting steel with an angle grinder, can it be straightened by hand (and later ground flat after HT), or other steps are required to relieve stress before HT.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I use an angle grinder now. It does create a lot of sparks but I have no problems with warping. Heat is not a problem since you are going to heat treat afterwards anyway. However I was thinking of using a jig saw or a reciprocating saw. Jigsaw would be better since I could actually steer the it.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Sparks don't bother me as much, my concern is warping that needs to be dealt with through stress relieving, hand straightening, or grinding off.

M

An angle grinder, with a good quality thin zip wheel, leave a wheels width of metal outside your scribe lines, and finish grind to profileafter. On thicher material, I make a few passes along the length of the cut so as not to go full thickness on the first pass. never had any warping, and never had any issues with the heat generated. Very rare to see the steel turn red if you make a couple light passes. I started buying sheets because no matter who cuts it, they want to add cost. I ordered the last sheet from Aldo. the sheet is nice because you can "nest" a few different patterns when laying them out to reduce a large percentage of the wast associated with buying strips of set widths.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Hi Pierre,
    I think I have seen your name and a phone # on a sticky pad in Aldo's office. I was wondering if it was you.

I have an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, so this is how I will proceed for now. No plans for plasma cutter at the moment, have other priorities. Water jet blanking sounds interesting, but I have no companies (that I know of) in the area and schlepping back to NJ sounds like an ordeal. So, I will have to use what I have.

A nice bandsaw would be great down the road, but might take a while, as I would look for a quality saw.

Thanks folks,

M

i cant recall ever having warping after cutting with an angle grinder. i like the thin discs, and buy them in bulk when possible. i know they are a couple bucks each, but i prefer switching to a fresh disc than trying to squeak every millimeter out of each disc. the sparks dont bother me either.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Does it matter which way you lay out your knives on a sheet ?

+ Reply to Thread