Quantcast
Cutting knife blanks from a sheet - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cutting knife blanks from a sheet

I cut with a regular hand held jig saw and use about one blade per piece. I have done more hand planes than knives, butt the knives are catching up fast!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I cut with a regular hand held jig saw and use about one blade per piece. I have done more hand planes than knives, butt the knives are catching up fast!
    I wanted to start using my jig saw instead of my grinder. Can I turn the blade on metal like wood and what kind of blades do you use?
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Marko,

http://www.leadingedgefab.com/knife-makers

It's all you need to know.

Your concerned steel provider

Aldo, I can't wait till you offer this service yourself in house. Shipping to MI would be a killer.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    I wanted to start using my jig saw instead of my grinder. Can I turn the blade on metal like wood and what kind of blades do you use?
    I use Bosch blades and drill holes where I need to change directions. Curves are problematic, but gentle ones or no problem, as in the cutting edge profile.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Bruno View Post
    Marko,

http://www.leadingedgefab.com/knife-makers

It's all you need to know.

Your concerned steel provider
    Do you have any idea how much a single prototype blade might cost, ballpark?
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Do you mean starting up a $200,000 dollar water jet machine and making "1" piece?

yup!
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Bruno View Post
    Do you mean starting up a $200,000 dollar water jet machine and making "1" piece?
    Have a number of makers commit to your service (in writing) for the minimum of two years in exchange for top notch customer service and good price. No?

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

From what I've seen, most companies charge 5-10 dollars a piece depending on quantity. Sometimes there is also a setup fee. I imagine once the cad drawings are in the system, the setup fee is waved on subsequent orders.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein