Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cutting knife blanks from a sheet

I cut with a regular hand held jig saw and use about one blade per piece. I have done more hand planes than knives, butt the knives are catching up fast!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I cut with a regular hand held jig saw and use about one blade per piece. I have done more hand planes than knives, butt the knives are catching up fast!
    I wanted to start using my jig saw instead of my grinder. Can I turn the blade on metal like wood and what kind of blades do you use?
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Marko,

http://www.leadingedgefab.com/knife-makers

It's all you need to know.

Your concerned steel provider

Aldo, I can't wait till you offer this service yourself in house. Shipping to MI would be a killer.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    I wanted to start using my jig saw instead of my grinder. Can I turn the blade on metal like wood and what kind of blades do you use?
    I use Bosch blades and drill holes where I need to change directions. Curves are problematic, but gentle ones or no problem, as in the cutting edge profile.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Bruno View Post
    Marko,

http://www.leadingedgefab.com/knife-makers

It's all you need to know.

Your concerned steel provider
    Do you have any idea how much a single prototype blade might cost, ballpark?
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Do you mean starting up a $200,000 dollar water jet machine and making "1" piece?

yup!
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Bruno View Post
    Do you mean starting up a $200,000 dollar water jet machine and making "1" piece?
    Have a number of makers commit to your service (in writing) for the minimum of two years in exchange for top notch customer service and good price. No?

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

From what I've seen, most companies charge 5-10 dollars a piece depending on quantity. Sometimes there is also a setup fee. I imagine once the cad drawings are in the system, the setup fee is waved on subsequent orders.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein