Quantcast
Cutting knife blanks from a sheet - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cutting knife blanks from a sheet

the real short of it is less you are getting 20 or more parts cut its almost not worth sending out
    i thin most of you are jsut used to cutting wood on wood saws band sawing steel is much slower but its not bad on long slow curves (think of all the tringles you need to cut out of a complex shape cause metal saws can turn as nicley as a wood saw with thin blade

one thing that can help you get a part count up is making a "stock" handle shape then jsut haveing an oversized blade like shape that you can do a bit of moding on to make a few types knives. i have razors lasercut with jsut the tang shaped and the blade a big rectangle that i can shape in house to the needs of the buyer (the tang is the time eater at the saw)

So is it really $5-10 a blank if laser cut? Sounds reasonable (if $5), given the amount of work that goes in particularly on thicker steels.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Yes it is if you are doing a whole sheet at a time but you also have to factor shipping and setup. If setups 50 bucks and shipping is 10 dollars each way. Then it wouldnt make sense for anything less than 10.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    Yes it is if you are doing a whole sheet at a time but you also have to factor shipping and setup. If setups 50 bucks and shipping is 10 dollars each way. Then it wouldnt make sense for anything less than 10.
    Right. I thought of what Butch said, of getting handle and general shape and then do variations on a grinder.

I will try to look if there is a company near by and somebody with Cad software skills.

Not a big fan of an angle grinder. Smell, sparks and a gushing wound on my index finger from not paying attention.

M

Marko -

Call this guy:

http://www.greatlakeswaterjetinc.com/

so we will keep with the razor setup as thats the only thing i have ever had cut out for me
    steel 52100 400$+S&H
    the cut was about 5 bucks a razor and i needed 50 to get no art fee and ended up getting 114 made from that sheet (i also got to keep the web of the sheet to later use in a dammy mix)

the cutter was local so i saved on that part of shipping
    you can see how you can start getting a really nice chunk of change needed for the batch and all that $$ is up front and only for one patteren. while the blades dont rot like food im still working on blades from that batch now nearly 2 years later. kind of need to ask yourself what you want to invest in cause at that point you are investing and hopping that you can sell the pattern/ steel type you picked VS maybe a new grinder or saw thats a bit slower but gives you more options down the road

Makes sense. I was just exploring the options. I have 2x4 sheet of 52100 and a smaller sheet of W2 so it's not really that critical for me to outsource blanking. And besides, I will be getting some of my steel from Devin, so it will be in strips. A good bandsaw would be preferable, but for now I will make a use of a Milwaukee handheld saw.

Thanks again, everybody -

M

+ Reply to Thread