Quantcast
Laser VS Workhorse - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laser VS Workhorse

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleSteve View Post
    So at what point does a "Laser" become a "Workhorse"? Is there something in between? Or does it go from Laser to Workhorse?

Sorry for the questions, as you can see by my posts, kinda new here
    i guess when a knife is so thin that you barely ever get wedging but also there isnt much convexing in the blade either due to its thinness thus causing the stiction instead. thats pretty much what a laser is. i dunno, i consider laser to be almost a slang term. but i think most here would agree those are the characteristics of a laser. as far as an example of a good in between knife is concerned, the misono swed is the best example of an in between IMO in my limited experience. Its thin but no laser.

Laser: 2 mm or less spine thickness over the heel for a 240 mm gyuto.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Laser: 2 mm or less spine thickness over the heel for a 240 mm gyuto.
    well, assuming a good reduction towards the edge. 2mm at the spine and 1mm at the edge wouldn't be so great.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    well, assuming a good reduction towards the edge. 2mm at the spine and 1mm at the edge wouldn't be so great.
    I disagree. Thin knives are still lasers even if they suck. Historically, the term is used to describe knives made from steel sheets: Tadatsuna, Yusuke and Suisin Inox Honyaki western style knives. Now, we have Konosuke, Gesshin, etc. as well. The term has also been applied to some other thin knives from cheap to very expensive forged blades that were/are in actuality, terrible and not worth using, IMO.

i defer to greater knowledge.

not a fan of lasers. prepped 3 x 400 pans worth of root veggies tonight with a tanaka fattie gyuto and no wedging. i'd have been pretty miserable had i had to use a laser for that task.

When it comes to chopping large amount of veggies, I wonder if people prefer longer or thicker knives, because the extra weight helps with the cut? I use the heaviest knife I own, when chopping large amounts of veggies.

Jay

Lasers were a fad.

+1

It's funny how everything comes to balance over time and tried-and-true stuff just keeps coming back.

To me lasers were never an area of interest. I have a Japanese knife that is 1.5mm at the spine, flat ground, then 90/10 beveled. It flexes at the handle, and while thin enough to get through most things with ease, on dense stuff it gets stuck. I attribute it less to wedging and more to sticking, but most annoying trait of lasers that many flex at the spine while you cutting through a squash or similarly dense vegetable. For that reason alone, I would never make a knife that is less than 2.5mm thick at the handle.

There are geometries one can explore to thin the edge and area above the edge, while leaving spine at full thickness. For me this is the approach if I were to look for a knife that offers a precise cutting ability. A good example of such a knife is a thin Shigefusa.

A

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Lasers were a fad.
    I dunno. Ask mark how many konosukes he moves each year, this fad is here to stay.