Quantcast
Margarita Recipe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Margarita Recipe

Margarita Recipe

My friend is hosting a party and asked me to come up with the ultimate Margarita. Since he's never had one that didn't contain the high-fructose frozen conentrate mix. I told he we could so better. Are there any mixologist that can offer some advise on a recipe? TKS

No mixologist here but at a place I used to work at I used to make an Hoja Santa agave simple syrup that went into what I think was just fresh squeezed lemon juice then muddled in serrano chile. When my other half makes it at home she likes to let the base steep with cucumber and mint overnight. Not sure if that still counts as a margarita but it sure is tasty.

4-2-1 tequila to fresh lime juice to triple sec/orange-brandy liqueur, with healthy squirt or two of agave syrup. shake, pour over ice, no salt. i use Cabo Wabo silver and Gran Gala, most of the time, though Dekuyper O3 orange liqueur is both good and cheap (my favorite combo). if using triple sec, i suggest a little extra lime juice.

I'm no mixologist either, but a well made margarita during the summer is one of my favorite drinks.

I've made and had variations of Rick Bayless's recipe here. http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=1 But, instead of just limes (generally, Key Limes) for the limeade mix in the recipe, a combination of limes and lemons tasted better, especially if you can still find Meyer lemons. Because the juice can vary in flavor, the sour mix was made roughly to taste - just slightly sweet (the recipe includes a recommended amount of sugar that you may need less of) - and thinned with some water per the recipe.

To make the actual margarita, use 1 1/2 oz of good silver tequila, approximately 1 oz of limeade/sour mix (to taste) and a float of Gran Torres orange liqueur (which is great if you can find it - it's about half the price of Cointreau and has better flavor than Grand Marnier, IMHO), shaken with ice. You can rim the glass with salt if you like.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    4-2-1 tequila to fresh lime juice to triple sec/orange-brandy liqueur, with healthy squirt or two of agave syrup. shake, pour over ice, no salt. i use Cabo Wabo silver and Gran Gala, most of the time, though Dekuyper O3 orange liqueur is both good and cheap (my favorite combo). if using triple sec, i suggest a little extra lime juice.

That's pretty close to what I do -- my starting point is more like 2:1:1, using a good silver and Cointreau. I usually go scant on the Cointreau, though, which gets it closer to 4:2:1.

I don't add any sweetener before tasting -- and if it needs a little, a little agave syrup is perfect. No salt. Stick with Key/Mexican limes if possible -- better flavor than big Persians.

For an inexpensive mixer tequila, Milagro is very good for the price. I also like Corzo quite a bit.

I made some margaritas the other day with grapefruit juice and an anejo (Corzo, I think), and they were really good.

i make them with anejo, on occasion, and i use blood oranges and meyer lemon. really good!

thanks guys. Blood oranges and meyer lemons. OH MY. I like Lunzal. I can get Key limes too.

Sorry if this is deviating too far off topic, but has anyone made a whole fruit margarita? I have a Vitamix and I'm thinking if I can puree whole strawberries/limes with tequila and ice that it would make a much better frozen margarita than using syrups and mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Sorry if this is deviating too far off topic, but has anyone made a whole fruit margarita? I have a Vitamix and I'm thinking if I can puree whole strawberries/limes with tequila and ice that it would make a much better frozen margarita than using syrups and mixes.
    i have a KitchenAid blender that is great for crushing ice, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i have a KitchenAid blender that is great for crushing ice, but that's about it.

I use 3/2/1

3 tequila (milagro, corralejo, centenario, or other tequila of your choice)
    2 cointreau
    1 lime juice
    + a good squirt of agave nectar

shake with ice then serve with ice in margarita glass or whatever else glass you fancy

+ Reply to Thread