Sharpening night.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles

KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just finished. Touched up some kit knives, a couple others for friends, and a couple in the home block. Everything is tucked away in it's place. Stones have been flattened and are air drying. There's something strangely satisfying about that shiny crisp edge when it comes off the stones. I never tire of it and never get tired of trying to find it faster and make it just a little bit better every time.
Teaching basic skills class tomorrow. Time to initiate twenty new students in the finer points of knife skills. Always a fun class. Never tire of that either...

I never tire of it and never get tired of trying to find it faster and make it just a little bit better every time.
Teaching basic skills class tomorrow. Time to initiate twenty new students in the finer points of knife skills. Always a fun class. Never tire of that either...

I'm curious to know if your class is a public one. Im a Texan and would love to have some hands on advice as to how I can improve sharpening. I've been trying my best to learn from the internet for the past 6 months, but theres nothing like having face time with a knowledgable teacher.

I teach classes at Central Market here in Houston. They're open to the public. Each CM location has a school where people can take classes. We usually do a knife skills class at least every month. We don't offer sharpening as part of the class, though. Personally, I've never taught a formal organized sharpening class, although I've done a couple of demonstrations and tutored more than a couple cooks, chefs, and friends over the years, which I guess counts as having taught sharpening.

I'm a Houstonian as well. I used to work at Sur La Table so I've sat through more than my share of knife skills classes. Does you or anyone that you know of offer an advanced sharpening class in town? I know once a year or so Bob Kramer stops up at some SLT locations to do a class, but I'd rather look elsewhere.

Back