Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Culinary school necessary?

Culinary school necessary?

Would culinary school be necessary if you're aiming to be a cook or a chef?
    I'm not sure on the answer of this question so I thought maybe you guys could help me get an answer.
    Also would it be better if getting a bachelor degree in a university before going to a culinary school?

Thanks for the help

I'm just a civilian, but from what I've read on this forum, experience is key, rather than education.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Most of the chefs I know turn their noses up at the idea of going to school, lucky peach did a good article about this recently you can find it online.
    "The self-seeking man who is looking after his personal comforts and leading a lazy life- there is no room for him even in hell" - Narendranath Dutta

No, you don't need culinary school. You need experience in real kitchens. You also need to know that this is what you want before spending thousands on education. The key is to learn outside of work as well as inside. Get a few good books and read them, familiarize yourself with the terms and fundamentals. Watch videos. Don't get stuck in a position where you don't learn from your chef or job. If you have the money, I suggest traveling the world and working in many restaurants. Food varies greatly, and no two kitchens are the same.

My corporate chef had no culinary education, and was hired by a very respected CCC (Certified Chef de Cuisine.. a Canadian thing?). I've met chefs who had never gone to school, and many who did but suggested I didn't. It's also true that many cooks laugh at those who "wasted" money on school.

There's much more to being a chef then I once thought as a kid growing up. No more bottled salad dressings. No more canned soups. It's time to learn it all from scratch. Fillet fish, butcher meat, make dough for everything from bread to pasta. It's a life long journey. Never become discouraged and always keep learning. The naturals will rise to the top, with or without education. You need heart.
    Don't look back.. you're not going that way.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbroth View Post
    Most of the chefs I know turn their noses up at the idea of going to school, lucky peach did a good article about this recently you can find it online.
    Here is a link to the article: http://luckypeach.com/should-you-go-to-culinary-school/

Interesting read.

Thanks guys!

Even more interesting how per se got dragged through the mud shortly after the article was written! Seems to offer a very decent base salary tho.
    "The self-seeking man who is looking after his personal comforts and leading a lazy life- there is no room for him even in hell" - Narendranath Dutta

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbroth View Post
    Even more interesting how per se got dragged through the mud shortly after the article was written!
    By who?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    By who?
    NY Times food critic Pete Wells

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/di...view.html?_r=0

Culinary school is a rip off. Rather than paying a school to learn how to work at a soul crushing corporate joint- Start at the bottom at a decent restaurant, that's willing to teach you, and you'll get paid to learn.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky