Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sexy Plates

Sexy Plates

Thought you guys would appreciate this freakin beautiful plates... http://www.grubstreet.com/2015/04/mo...w/slideshow/1/

Seriously nice stuff
    Thanks for posting

All I can say is... WOW! I wish I had those kind of skills. Lol

While beautiful, the majority of those do not scream tasty to me ...

Watching this does not makes me want to eat it. It sure is food but that doesn't seems nourishing or appealing to me. I don't want to eat a "beautiful", well defined painting. I have to admit there is a LOT going on visually here.. I'm more interested by the taste and texture. It's nice to see a good plated dish but I don't like to focus too much energy on doing that. To me it's looking like food for someone on a diet or something, who would do that at home for a meal ? Just my point of view, to each his own.

Roger I hear where your coming from but the Chefs turning out these type of dishes are really not catering to the stuffed to the gills kind of dining. I think it's about creating something new that both visually artistic but still be a harmonious composed dish. I think it has its place. It takes huge effort and creativity. They have my respect but when I dine at Michelin stared restaurants I usually hit the Chinese buffet first. LOL
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Remember when Nuvo Cuisine was the rage. Fine dining can have a moderate amount of food on the plate not enough to stuff your gills, but more than just a couple bites.

That river salmon from tru was a tough prep item, especially when we did it for 700 person charity event

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Watching this does not makes me want to eat it. It sure is food but that doesn't seems nourishing or appealing to me. I don't want to eat a "beautiful", well defined painting. I have to admit there is a LOT going on visually here.. I'm more interested by the taste and texture. It's nice to see a good plated dish but I don't like to focus too much energy on doing that. To me it's looking like food for someone on a diet or something, who would do that at home for a meal ? Just my point of view, to each his own.
    I had the same thoughts. Very few of those were items I'd go out of my way to EAT. However, I think it would have been cool to have worked a line where we had THAT kind of time for plating. Even at the finest dining place I cooked, where we were dealing with insanely expensive product, I'd have been in the weeds by the second plate if I'd had to stop cooking long enough for some of those set-ups.

I hear about these places now with 10 seats or whatever, and at my age I think that may be more my style: taking all the time you need to put out one seating every few hours and just do it right instead of always walking that line of speed/precision. The bad part would be probably never wanting to eat what I was cooking.

Someday you will miss walking that line of speed/precision keeps your blood flowing. Time goes faster always better to be busy than slow.