Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The camera/photography thread

The camera/photography thread

As a lot of you know, i'm pretty dorky when it comes to cameras and lenses... I also happen to know quite a few of you are too

I thought it might be nice to have a gear-based thread where we can all talk about what we are shooting on, what we want to be shooting on, and other fun, random photography based stuff. I'll get the ball rolling...

I happen to be a cannon guy... currently shooting on a 5d MkIII and 60D. My current lenses include canon's 24-105 f4 L, 100mm f2.8 macro L, 16-35 f4 IS L, 60mm f2.8 macro, tokina 11-16 f2.8, and sigma 35 f1.4 art. I also have a few led lights, camranger, rode videomic, zoom h2n, and a 4ft x 4ft lightbox.

I'll try to get around to posting a photo of my kit, but in the meantime, here are some photos from recent outings:

and, of course, the obligatory kid photo...

Alright, you guys are up...

I can't add anything on the geek front, but I will say that those are some incredibly beautiful, well framed shots Jon.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I'm a Nikon guy myself. Just a hobbyist trying to find more time.
    Gear:
    Nikon D7000

Wish I could get a sigma foveon sensor in a Nikon body with f1.2 50mm fixed lens

Untitled by lmaousrs, on Flickr

only change in gear I can say I care about is at some point I'd like to go ahead and get a new digital camera. It's been some years. I don't like dslrs; I wonder what a second hand A7r goes for these days.

Oh yeah for most of my time shooting I just did film and processed it myself. I guess I just wanted to be Ralph Gibson =/ Oh well, we all have our hangups.

That's a nice kit Jon. You've really stepped up your gear in the last few years. My current kit is a 5D3/24-105L/70-200 F4IS/35 F2IS. I've sold off a lot of gear in the last year. Right now in the " less is more" mode. I have had my eye on the new 100-400L.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    That's a nice kit Jon. You've really stepped up your gear in the last few years. My current kit is a 5D3/24-105L/70-200 F4IS/35 F2IS. I've sold off a lot of gear in the last year. Right now in the " less is more" mode. I have had my eye on the new 100-400L.
    yeah... the addiction has indeed grown. That 100-400L looks stupid cool. I also really like the sigma art series... adding the 50mm 1.4 art soon... and considering the new 24mm 1.4. Love me some fast primes.

While we're talking about lenses...

well I guess you guys saw my macro lenses in the other thread, they are my favorites:

For those wondering the lenses pictured:
    Zeiss ZF 50mm F2.0 Makro-Planar
    Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 Macro
    Olympus OM 50mm f3.5 Auto-Macro
    Olympus OM 90mm f2.0 Auto-Macro
    Olympus OM 50mm f2.0 Auto-Macro
    Leica 100mm f2.8 APO Macro Elmarit R
    Leica 60mm f2.8 Macro Elmarit R
    Nikon 55mm f2.8 Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon 55mm f3.5 Micro-Nikkor

There have been others though, some of these are gone, some not:

I blew my first paycheck out of college to buy that M2 and ZM50P. Had a great time with it, eventually sold it to get the F3HP and ZM50P though.

This Rolleiflex was a big disappointment. Maybe I should have stuck with the Mamiya 7

I really don't like Nikon, but this lens was fun for a bit:

I mostly just buy 50s, but the 35 biogon was a sweet lens:

DR summicron, didnt keep this one all that long:

And these are what I ultimately settled on:

Also in case you're wondering what my favorite lens is it's none of these. It's the Pentax 6x7 System 105mm f2.4 SMC Takumar. If only the cameras had been tolerable... the lens does things. But because of the camera, this one went through the grinder as well.

I switched from Nikon FX and a multitude of lenses to a Fuji X100t and the 28mm equivalent conversion lens. I actually take my camera with me, now! I am still learning the camera (it's very, very different from a DSLR), but I really like it. I do still use my dad's FM2 (with a classic group of AI-S lenses) on occasion.

I shoot a D700 and X100, with primarily manual focus lenses. I have too many to list them all, but some favourites include my Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4, Nikkor 105mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, and Kiron 28mm f/2. 35mm is my focal length of choice though, so most often the 35mm f/2 stays on the body.