Quantcast
Turn me on to some obscure music! - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Turn me on to some obscure music!

some home town flavor, In no real order...

sorry one more

Mike Keneally
    I only learned of him from seeing him play with Vai then learned he was in zappas band but he is 60 and probably better then ever.

For some foreign music here are some of my recs.

French. Les Ogres de Barback. Here are a couple of examples.

French. Les Petites Bourresttes. I love the song On Rigolera.

I also like Tętes Raides. They and Les Ogres perform together a lot I believe. This is one of my favorites.

And if you want Serbian Gypsy music, Šaban Bajramović (Шабан Бајрамовић) is a legend -- probably one of the most influential Roma singers.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Flim and the BBs:

Or Billy Barber without Flim:

Saffire--the Uppity Blues Women

Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by dough View Post
    i love this group of people... meaning you guys. such differing taste and people dont seem so closed in... for instance you dont say i love metal screw ska.
    Hiromi is such a talent but beyond that she is really progressing as a teacher/band leader and writer.
    Man those are great. Esperanza has gotta be one of the most talented people I've seen out there. Maybe that might be the wrong wording, depending on how to define talent, but it just doesn't seem like it would be possible for most people to have such finesse and fluidity with an instrument. The way she sings and plays simultaneously is outrageous.

I think you'll really enjoy this one. It's possibly my favorite song from Dave Matthews, as I don't like most of his other stuff, but something about this one song is fantastic. Seems every jam of it is just special. He's got one with Victor Wooten too.

nice choice don. performances like that lead to jeff coffin being invited to join the band when dave's sax player passed away.

futureman always blows my mind he is in the running for being one of the strangest yet talented guys out there.

also imo esperanza is in the same boat as christian mcbride talent wise. once your that good its hard to argue who is better just becomes a matter of taste.

I've been listening to Les Cowboys Fringants all day.

Another French group.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

This is friends old band,they have just reissued 2 albums and can be found on spotify and i tunes.Never really got the praise they deserved.http://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=0...2Fac-acoustics

Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter