Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Art - Realism

Discussion of Art - Realism

To skip the video, here is the painting in question:

There are countless people out there saying that this has little value as art, because it's essentially like being a human camera. Some even devalue it even more so because it's painted from reference, and not from memory.

This is one of the times where I want to throw away the idea of, "everyone is entitled to their own opinions," and just want to say, "you're wrong." It irritates me to no end to hear that kind of elitist mindset; I don't even feel the need to prove the skill level demonstrated. To downplay that kind of mastery because it doesn't fit in the "normal" category of art is arrogant and narrow minded.

Thoughts? Perhaps I'm just being egotistical myself, but this is something that really strikes a chord in me.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

ART!!!!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

I appreciate this as art. I think that you have a scale with pure abstract on one side and pure realism on the other, all art is going to be somewhere on the scale. Robin Eley seems to see things far to the realism side. Discrediting this as art purely on the level of realism is ridiculous and does not take into account many other things, like composition, color, shadow. I would really like to see one of these paintings in person,

Technically beautiful, but emotionally does about as much for me as a perfectly executed yellow stripe down the center of a road.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Someone once told me art should provoke some type of emotion. For me, I look at that painting and I'm amazed. Why the artist chose this genre to display his skill is not for me to decide.

There's an old saying that applies here as well as many other situations: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Because I find my eyes following the geometry of the woman, floor and walls something artistic must be going on. The artist's photo realistic technical ability adds a texture -I guess that's what you'd call it- that a photograph wouldn't capture.

The fact the woman's covered in plastic, I don't get so much, but I like her expression and how she appears comfortable. Pretty incredible piece but not something I'd put on my wall.

Devin, I fully appreciate it but have the artistic skills of a square of sod.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Only those with the skills to do something like this can fully appreciate it.

Hoss

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I would prefer a front view!
    I say art.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

After 20 years of these kinds of discussions with wife (she studied art in college) my conclusion is that art is concept as much (or more) as execution--this is why, sometimes, only the first person to do something can make it art.

If this concept makes sense to you, then it's art...to you. There's no reason we all should have the same answer...we can have different answers and still all be right b/c it's personal.

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    The fact the woman's covered in plastic, I don't get so much, but I like her expression and how she appears comfortable. Pretty incredible piece but not something I'd put on my wall.
    This was pretty much my own reaction.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.