• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Entry Level Stainless Western Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I organize an annual four-day event that we have catered. Our chef is a super nice guy who works very hard for a reasonable price. I'd like to personally give him a decent knife, as a token of my appreciation for how hard he works. He's a humble guy who's used to using Forschners.

If anyone has a gently used, entry level knife in good or better condition, I'm interested. Since the knife is for someone else, I figure I shouldn't go too far from what he's used to, so I'm looking for stainless (or semi-stainless), with a western handle. Most likely a 240, or something close.

For reference, if nothing pans out here, I may just get him a new Tojiro DP. I might also look for some kind of combination stone as well.

Thanks for looking.

If nothing new turns up, perhaps have a look at a fujiwara fkm from JCK, I think a bit better bang for your buck than a Tojiro.

Not sure what the general opinion is on the forum...but I was extremely pleased with my first jKnife: Masamoto VG 210mm

That artifex gyuto/paring combo for $75 BKDC is offering is a hellava deal.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I saw that and was tempted, but I'm a bit concerned after reading the "What to do?" thread. Some of the pics showing the grind on the OP's gyuto leave me concerned. I don't want to turn this guy off from J-knives forever!

FWIW, I have an Artifex petty that I like quite a lot, but I am hesitant to get the gyuto.

That artifex gyuto/paring combo for $75 BKDC is offering is a hellava deal.

My favorite entry level western handled gyuto is the Carbonext gyuto (semistainless). In pure cutting performance, it holds its own against anything. And it really holds an edge. One of these days, I will have to try out a single steel VG10 blade without stainless cladding.

My favorite entry level western handled gyuto is the Carbonext gyuto (semistainless). In pure cutting performance, it holds its own against anything. And it really holds an edge. One of these days, I will have to try out a single steel VG10 blade without stainless cladding.

Why do you want a monosteel vg10 blade?

jck's house line jck kagayaki has a monosteel vg10 series.

Back