• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Heiji 270 Semi-Stainless Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
Greetings:

Up for sale is a fairly new Heiji Semi-Stainless knife. This knife is straight from Nakaya Heiji and has a burnt chestnut handle. It measures ~280 x ~50mm. Knife has a fresh edge put on by Jon at Japanese Knife Imports (this is not a Gesshin Heiji). This is an incredible cutter. Priced at $450 which includes insured shipping in CONUS.

Cheers!

P6070420_zpsd11c65cf.jpg

P6070409_zps64da9ad2.jpg

Looks like this is back on the market! $440

That heiji looks killer. Awesome profile. If I wasn't in the process of paying for my mike Davis suji this would be mine. Glws though I don't think you'll need it

What is the difference between this and the gesshin heiji besides where I would buy it?

I would say different steel, and different profile from what John wants for the Gesshin series.

I would say different steel, and different profile from what John wants for the Gesshin series.
this is Nakayaheiji reply my e-mail about his semi-stainless steel:
"Hello, Mr. Charles. Thank you for your Email. I only make one semi-stainless steel, My stainless steel is the original material. So the detail is secret, sorry."
I remember Jon said Gesshin Heiji series has better quality control & detail!

I have gotten some knives directly from nakaya heiji through another source before JKi carried them. I think when Jon states better quality control and detail its probably just better fit and finish and forging the blades to what Jon(jki) probably feels is a better profile or grind. I have no experience with a gesshin heiji so i cannot comment on the profile or grind. But from detailed pics i have seen the ones jon gets the polished areas like the choil and spine are smoother, more completely polished, the single bevel i got, the choil was smoothed out and polished but there were still some area not completety polished doesnt affect performance at all and i just accepted it as part of the character of heiji knives since they are very rustic in design. Also the tang hole of the handle had some gaps to it where it wasnt filled enough. The edge on mine was razor sharp out of the box but very thin and brittle. I tried to see if i could use to filet live eel and proceeded to use it like my unagisaki and ended up with a couple chips, nothing that sharpening and putting a koba wont take care of. Maybe Jon can clarify.

i was also told at the time when i ordered that Heiji is like shigefusa in that they will only use the steels they like or excel at forging and i believe thats swedish carbon and the semi-stainless. So i doubt the steels would be different.

No on the different steel, and not really on the profile. Slightly better fit and finish on the Gesshin, and more consistancy. I own both, and asked Jon about it.

Thx for the reply guys. I was just thinking out loud with what I had read about the series

It really is sick, and it does cut even better now than it did when I first got it, which is saying a whole lot for Jon's sharpening job.

No, but he needs one too! And this one is a righty...

Back