difference HD vs HD2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkriggen

Reaction score
OK, I've been trying to figure this out on my own for a couple of weeks now (maybe it was a couple of days, all kinda hazy right now), what is the difference between the Konasuke HD and HD2 lines? Is it just the handles, or are the blades different?:scratchhead:

I posed this very question to Mark a few months ago because I was confused about it, as well. His answer was that he couldn't tell the difference between the two. That left me more confused. If there's no difference, why would Konosuke label the knives as such? Regardless, I don't think that they'd make a change that would negatively impact the performance.

I posed this very question to Mark a few months ago because I was confused about it, as well. His answer was that he couldn't tell the difference between the two. That left me more confused. If there's no difference, why would Konosuke label the knives as such? Regardless, I don't think that they'd make a change that would negatively impact the performance.

I guess you never heard of the "New Coke":biggrin:

HD2 has slightly longer flattish blade, less belly

Mark said on his on forum that HD2 is supposed have improved retention and be less reactive. I guess he says different things to different people.

I would like to hear from someone who's used both the old HD steel and HD2. I'm not sure why I bothered believing what I read on the CKTG forum.

I own a couple HD's and have been around a few HD2's. Maybe their is more stainless attributes; maybe they have higher hardness...I would say that it is indistinguishable to the average user. I noticed the HD2's take on the same dullish, waterspot type patina. Maybe just a marketing gimmick.

Profile has nothing to do with the two. The different profile is the funiyuki version.

I own a couple HD's and have been around a few HD2's. Maybe their is more stainless attributes; maybe they have higher hardness...I would say that it is indistinguishable to the average user. I noticed the HD2's take on the same dullish, waterspot type patina. Maybe just a marketing gimmick.

Profile has nothing to do with the two. The different profile is the funiyuki version.
its good to hear the difference is trivial. i didnt think HD steel needed improving.

I tried both and I do think it is different. the feedback on the sharpening Hd2 slid a little more than the hd, but their retention are almost similar when being used in a pro kitchen situation. Plus the hd2 doesn't grab as well or so the call it"runs" as the edge gets more polished compared to the old hd steel. compared to the old hd metal i think it feels a lil harder but one wouldn't really know unless trying to really see the difference. Geometry it's a little less belly but they are hand made so they differ from knife to knife. The funayuki profile is good for those who chop and push cut but I think it's a little to fragile to be used in all kitchens. But in a kitchen where detailed cuts and less mass prep its an great knife..ie fine dinning where your prepping a couple of 1/6 pans vs a Olive Garden where our prepping 50 lbs bags of mirepoix

nobody at olive garden is prepping 50 pounds of mirepoix. the question is will that funayuki blade do a better job of slicing open those bags that all the soups and sauces come in?:lol2:

Well there's no Olive Garden in Hawaii but I was Trying to say A mass production kitchen. Lol really bagged soup gotta love that

Back