Rader Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms4awd

Reaction score
Any one with rader gyuto, how do u like them? Is it more suitable as workhorse or lazer? Just got on his wait list, wanting a w2 240mm gyuto...any thoughts from owners or anyone who has used one appreciated

The answer to your questions is yes.

[video=youtube_share;vPiz6Aaa7Eg]http://youtu.be/vPiz6Aaa7Eg[/video]

To be clear, the knife in the vid was almost 255mm or more I believe. With that being said it was well balanced and quite nimble for its size. Not a thick knife like a yodeba, probably at or just under 3mm at the spine and thin behind the edge. The grind was a bit flat which led to some food stiction especially for it's height. I believe Mr. Rader has improved his grind adding more convexing since then. Also. his handles are quite nice.

I have owned three Rader gyutos over 3 or 4 years. I can say from experience that he has improved his grind a lot over time. The latest one is the best cutter I have used. Edge retention is amazing as well. My newest one is on the thinner side, but it will be your custom, so you can go thicker or thinner based on what you want. He is an amazing knifemaker and a great guy to work with.

Mike

The handles are what caught my eye... They are gorgeously designed and contoured..

Yeah, the steel was fantastic. Easy to sharpen to a screaming edge and just held it for crazy long.

every Rader knife is different! my 240mm 52100 forged-integral wa handle is on hefty side: 250g, spine distal taper from 3mm to 0.7mm, heel height 55mm. it has best F/F of all my custom knives. great cuter, food release is above average! I can't really make comment too much about my Rader gyuto because I only used it few time so far!!

It can be whatever you want....that is the beauty of a custom knife maker. Michael is great to work with and I am sure can make most things happen.

Thanks for the responses. I was asking since he mentioned that he does 2 things with the list. Offer a knife he has made down his list if anyone is interested or go through the wait list sequentially for the custom orders. I believe the wait for a full custom is approx 18 months. Just wanted some ideas of what his standard gyuto design is nowadays in the event that he may have one in the length i was looking for available sooner than my turn on the list to come up.

Back