Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former hobbyists/etc, why aren't we allowed privileges on BST?

Former hobbyists/etc, why aren't we allowed privileges on BST?

The discussion on PM's and other stuff I understand, but I don't understand BST.

Sometimes I wish I had a go at one of the stones or accessories up there, or an inexpensive knife to gift to a friend.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Administrator
    I have no way of determine if you are using the B/S/T to sell your professionally crafted wares.

We've had people leave the program in the past, only to have them turn around and unload in B/S/T so this is what we had to do in response.

Aren't there some kind of presumption of innocence in US?
    It sooo incredibly wrong to punish innocent people (who happens to pay money to the forum in the past), just because you've had some bad experience in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    It sooo incredibly wrong to punish innocent people (who happens to pay money to the forum in the past), just because you've had some bad experience in the past.
    I agree. Seems to me that the B/S/T posting volume isn't so large that we wouldn't be able to notice if someone was abusing it.
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    Presumption of innocence? This isn't the criminal justice system. There is no universal presumption of innocence in the US.

And, this forum is a private business. The owners can run this business as they like as long as they do not violate state, federal, or international laws.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Administrator
    No one is being punished. If you feel that way I'm sorry.

I've had more than enough experience of having people leave the program, then just move to B/S/T. Want to be upset with me? I'm the wrong person. Be upset with Sponsors who have left and decided to not honor the honor system.

We're talking about it in the mod forum. I don't want this rule to change because I feel the greater evil is sending a contact to every former sponsor to ensure their wares are not commercially produced. They are just going to say no, then what?

Then the next issues is new people come in, don't join the program, then use the people commercially producing but saying their not to validate their reason to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I have no way of determine if you are using the B/S/T to sell your professionally crafted wares.
    Not sure I understand. If I became a "hobbyist" and wanted to start selling "Larry's Finest Knives" you would be unable to readily determine from my BST listing whether a personally owned Kono or Shig, for example, that I was trying to sell was instead one of my "Finest Knives"?

And why, even if I were a hobbyist, should I be prohibited from BUYING knives, stones, etc. being sold by other KKF participants?

Quote Originally Posted by larrybard View Post
    Not sure I understand. If I became a "hobbyist" and wanted to start selling "Larry's Finest Knives" you would be unable to readily determine from my BST listing whether a personally owned Kono or Shig, for example, that I was trying to sell was instead one of my "Finest Knives"?

And why, even if I were a hobbyist, should I be prohibited from BUYING knives, stones, etc. being sold by other KKF participants?
    Pretty much says it all for me Larry.

A transaction needs PM's to work anyways, and the members in question don't have those; I think if we talk about BST then we're diving into all other areas too.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    the greater evil is sending a contact to every former sponsor to ensure their wares are not commercially produced.
    I brought this up in an earlier thread, but ultimately the question I'm asking is then if you're limiting certain members based on these criteria:

• The possibility they might sell under the table here
    • The fact that they might sell anything at all, in any community
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Administrator
    The mods and I are discussing it. I greatly appreciate everyone who's weighed in, and contacted me privately. Please allow us a few days to discuss it as a team. It's the holidays and everyone has varying availability.