Facelift

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Heiji, Shig Ku Nakiri that was polished by user and Yosihide Gyuto

Before
P1040899.jpgP1040900.jpgP1040902.jpgP1040903.jpgP1040905.jpgP1040911.jpg

After
P1050030.jpgP1050032.jpgP1050033.jpgP1050036.jpgP1050037.jpg

They cleaned up nicely! Fixing broken tips always feels like magic as well :doublethumbsup:

May I ask, when you sharpen wide double bevel knives like the Heiji, do you swap hands to do the left side? Left handed sharpening always feels awkward to me, but it seems necessary on these types of knife to get a consistent angle variation and finish.

Thanks.

No i dont swap hands. Sharpen like always just with bevel away from me

Nice work on the knives, M.

Sharpening - Do you swap Jonathan? I used to when I started out sharpening, but it wouldn't feel right now and I wouldn't trust myself. Would be a big advantage to be able to, though.

Nice---clean and understated.

Do you have any details on methods used? Sandpaper? Stones? Fingerstones?

This 3 i just took on some finger stones, 600 grit then 1k then Uchigotori. And bit Nugui at the end

Nice work on the knives, M.

Sharpening - Do you swap Jonathan? I used to when I started out sharpening, but it wouldn't feel right now and I wouldn't trust myself. Would be a big advantage to be able to, though.

I only swap hands for the blade road on the left side. If I don't, I find the angle transition between the higher heel angle and the lower tip angle becomes too short and a messy angle shift appears in the middle, ruining the finish. I do all the edge work right handed, though.

Back