Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wa handle Removal

Reviving an old one! I'm interested in removing two ebony handles from Konosuke knives and switching them with each other.

Are there any new ways to approach this while keeping the handle intact? Experiences welcome.

Having read the thread my current idea is to vaccum seal the entire knife and either submerge in hot water, or possibly use a Rational oven (if you're familiar with these units they're pretty impressive).

I had good luck with this thread. http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...val?highlight=

In the end it took a 2x4 and a few good whacks with a mallet. Mine was epoxied in but still broke loose. No damage to the handle in the end.

My approach is to use the 2x4 and mallet method and if the handle is stubborn or epoxied in I just hit it harder and keep hitting it. Eventually it will give out usually with no damage to the handle.

The Fujiyama handle's are epoxied in place pretty hard but a little heat will soften the glue. I heated up the blade and handle before lightly tapping the handle off.

I just did a glued on handle too. I'd hit it hard enough it was starting to crack, but still wouldn't budge. Then boiled it for 5 mins and knocking it off was a cinch.