Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Takeda handheld sharpening stone.

Takeda handheld sharpening stone.

According to Takeda's literature, his handheld sharpening stone are WA1200 and C800. Presumably that is the grit rating? Or can someone help decipher those numbers?

I am in the process to find new sharpening stone. I can produce an edge that slices nicely through printer papers most of the time with My good old el cheapo stone from local market. But it feels rough when I slice newspaper; either my knife doesnt bite well or just not sharp enough. Any suggestions?

Do you de-burr?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

wa1200= white alumina (the abrasive type) at 1200 grit
    c800= silicon carbide (the abrasive type) at 800 grit

Thats my best guess

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Do you de-burr?
    Yes, just simple and stupid stroping on the finer side of the stone and then a few slices on cork.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    wa1200= white alumina (the abrasive type) at 1200 grit
    c800= silicon carbide (the abrasive type) at 800 grit

Thats my best guess
    Ah that make sense. I guess that wont produce a razor like edge then... Maybe i should just get king or geshin 1k/6k

Some better stones and something to keep them flat would make a world of difference for you I think.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Yeah, grab a decent stone or two and your results will be much better.
    When I deburr in cork, I slice with a slight twist back and forth to make sure I get the burr. If it comes down to it, take a jeweler's loupe and see if you have a nice v shaped bevel. If there's a bit of a hanger, flip it and deburr again.
    Sounds like you're well on your way to scary sharp territory
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cnimativ View Post
    According to Takeda's literature, his handheld sharpening stone are WA1200 and C800. Presumably that is the grit rating? Or can someone help decipher those numbers?

I am in the process to find new sharpening stone. I can produce an edge that slices nicely through printer papers most of the time with My good old el cheapo stone from local market. But it feels rough when I slice newspaper; either my knife doesnt bite well or just not sharp enough. Any suggestions?
    Slicing through paper tells you something about the edge, but slicing through the food you will prepare with the knife tells you more. How does your edge perform when you use it for its intended purpose?

I believe that Takeda has 2 different stone setups, and one is finer than the 800/1200.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Slicing through paper tells you something about the edge, but slicing through the food you will prepare with the knife tells you more. How does your edge perform when you use it for its intended purpose?
    The quest is to better my tools and technique to take my edge to another level previously unexperienced. And in the current moment, I think I am limited by my generic two sided stone.

But in terms of usability, it works. But it could be sharper to have its weight clean cut green onion, etc, instead of crushing and slice.