Quantcast
How to make the slot in a Wa handle?

Thread: How to make the slot in a Wa handle?

How to make the slot in a Wa handle?

How do you make the slot in Wa handles? I have attempted to try drilling multiple holes in a straight line, but that doesn't seem to be working out very well. I understand that you start with a pilot hole, but then what? Is there some kind of weird file? Also are there any good tutorials out there?

Any help/tips are appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Needle files help, but take a long time. Someone here posted about cutting off a piece of bandsaw and gluing it to a handle to do the trick.
    I usually drill a larger hole than I would normally consider necessary, and I have a cheap little hand saw I got from Lowes that I finish up with-it's like a drywall saw.
    I'll try to post a pic later if you can't find one.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I found a pic. I'll pick one up and give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

Maybe try google ? you can search easily and find lots of threads already created on many topics.
    for example: in search box type: tang hole site:kitchenknifeforums.com
    lots of examples there
    Last edited by Stumblinman; 06-10-2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: clarification

Thanks that helped a lot. I tried using the KKF search bar to no avail, but google has all the answers. I should have tried there first.

i asked similar questions before.
    one good way is to drill a bigger hole in the handle, then smaller ones for the ferrule.
    when you are installing the handle, make a tight fit slot on the ferrule and fill the void with epoxy. It worked out quite well for me.

I also tried to use small files, but that took forever!

Drilling a pilot hole and using an appropriate sized broach can be a fairly simple way to remove material in a controlled manner that does not take a ton of time. Also using a jewelers saw, works well on the ferrule to make the slot and they are simple cheap tools that can be used for a lot of little detail things.