How to make the slot in a Wa handle?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greasedbullet

Reaction score
How do you make the slot in Wa handles? I have attempted to try drilling multiple holes in a straight line, but that doesn't seem to be working out very well. I understand that you start with a pilot hole, but then what? Is there some kind of weird file? Also are there any good tutorials out there?

Any help/tips are appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Needle files help, but take a long time. Someone here posted about cutting off a piece of bandsaw and gluing it to a handle to do the trick.
I usually drill a larger hole than I would normally consider necessary, and I have a cheap little hand saw I got from Lowes that I finish up with-it's like a drywall saw.
I'll try to post a pic later if you can't find one.

I found a pic. I'll pick one up and give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

Maybe try google ? you can search easily and find lots of threads already created on many topics.
for example: in search box type: tang hole site:kitchenknifeforums.com
lots of examples there

Last edited:
Thanks that helped a lot. I tried using the KKF search bar to no avail, but google has all the answers. I should have tried there first.

i asked similar questions before.
one good way is to drill a bigger hole in the handle, then smaller ones for the ferrule.
when you are installing the handle, make a tight fit slot on the ferrule and fill the void with epoxy. It worked out quite well for me.

I also tried to use small files, but that took forever!

Drilling a pilot hole and using an appropriate sized broach can be a fairly simple way to remove material in a controlled manner that does not take a ton of time. Also using a jewelers saw, works well on the ferrule to make the slot and they are simple cheap tools that can be used for a lot of little detail things.

Back