Thread: How to make the slot in a Wa handle?

How to make the slot in a Wa handle?

How do you make the slot in Wa handles? I have attempted to try drilling multiple holes in a straight line, but that doesn't seem to be working out very well. I understand that you start with a pilot hole, but then what? Is there some kind of weird file? Also are there any good tutorials out there?

Any help/tips are appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Needle files help, but take a long time. Someone here posted about cutting off a piece of bandsaw and gluing it to a handle to do the trick.
    I usually drill a larger hole than I would normally consider necessary, and I have a cheap little hand saw I got from Lowes that I finish up with-it's like a drywall saw.
    I'll try to post a pic later if you can't find one.
    "See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great."
    -Lane Myer (Definitely not as in Oscar Mayer)

I found a pic. I'll pick one up and give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

Maybe try google ? you can search easily and find lots of threads already created on many topics.
    for example: in search box type: tang hole site:kitchenknifeforums.com
    lots of examples there
    Last edited by Stumblinman; 06-10-2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: clarification

Thanks that helped a lot. I tried using the KKF search bar to no avail, but google has all the answers. I should have tried there first.

i asked similar questions before.
    one good way is to drill a bigger hole in the handle, then smaller ones for the ferrule.
    when you are installing the handle, make a tight fit slot on the ferrule and fill the void with epoxy. It worked out quite well for me.

I also tried to use small files, but that took forever!

Drilling a pilot hole and using an appropriate sized broach can be a fairly simple way to remove material in a controlled manner that does not take a ton of time. Also using a jewelers saw, works well on the ferrule to make the slot and they are simple cheap tools that can be used for a lot of little detail things.