Quantcast
How to put kanji or other marks on a blade?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to put kanji or other marks on a blade?

How to put kanji or other marks on a blade?

Title says it all. I would like to put some writing/marking on a blade, I just do not know the best way to do it. Should I etch it, or get an engraver, or some form of laser thingy? It would be awesome if it was something affordable, but I understand that some things cost money.

Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Thanks for the help.

If you're just marking the blade for identification, electro etching is a quick and easy way to go. For Japanese blades with softer sides, you can also just use a hammer and a small chisel. There is something incredibly artful to the simplicity of hammer and chisel (though it does take some practice). I've attached a couple photos from one of my visits in Japan where a maker (Kobayashi) is marking the sides of a blade.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kobayashi_engraving1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	16052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kobayashi_engraving2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	16053

Thanks Daniel. Great to have your feedback on this forum. Hopefully we will be hearing more from you. you and Drew have always been great to deal with.

Thanks. I think engraving the blades by hand is a little too intense for me right now. I will definitely look into electro-etching.

Sponsors
    hand engraving is HARD... i've been practicing for 2 years now and i still suck

I'm sure it is much harder than it looks, and it looks really hard to begin with.

Why do you want to engrave or etch blades?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Hopefully some day soon I can sell the knives I make. I am just trying to figure out how to put my mark on them.

Ok heads up then, market research is prohibited here. Looks like you might want to check out some of the stickied threads around here for that sort of thing.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...es-for-Posting.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think these kinds of questions would be considered market research. I am not trying to break any rules. Is there any way I can take this post down then?