Which one?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoqaVin

Reaction score
I am quite the avid reader but just decided to post as I am going to make a purchase soon...
I want two types of knives a laser type knife then one just to do the rough work pretty much...
Ok so the choices of lasers

Richmomd AS Laser 240mm
Moritaka Supreme in AS
Tanaka Damascus

Or anything anyonr else reccomends I know im going to get Kono HD2

The Richmond Laser in AS is pretty bad-ass for the cost. If i were you, i'd save one spot open for the KKF Gyuto. it is the prototype phase at this time but should be ready soon. I just purchased three knives including two gyutos and I can't wait till this knife becomes available.

No no no reread i meant as for reccomendations i would get the kono as one....

Budget up to 250

Mucho Bocho what gyutos did u get?

I would consider the Gesshin Ginga. It's actually a touch thicker than 2 mm at the spine above the heel so it's likely thicker than some of the lasers you may be looking at (I've never used either the Richmond, Moritaka or Tanaka), but I have a Ginga White #2 240 and I love it.

What do you consider rough work? We've had similar threads recently.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/12710-Laser-VS-Workhorse?highlight=workhorse

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...uot-work-horse-quot-knife?highlight=workhorse

FWIW, the gesshin ginga is not thicker at the spine than the konosuke, richmond laser, or tanaka... moritaka can vary in spine thickness from knife to knife

FWIW, the gesshin ginga is not thicker at the spine than the konosuke, richmond laser, or tanaka... moritaka can vary in spine thickness from knife to knife
Is it considered a laser and perform like one what kinda steel how much?

I've got three custom Yusuke Gyuto's on order. 210, 240 and 270 in Swedish stainless, 61RC, flatter profile and 2.8mm at spine. I'll likely be keeping the 210 and 240 and will sell the 270. I've been holding my breath since September.

No no no reread i meant as for reccomendations i would get the kono as one....

Budget up to 250

Mucho Bocho what gyutos did u get?

My bad. I thought there might have been a slight difference in thickness because the Ginga feels stiffer and more solid than the Konosuke I handled years ago.

I like AS Moritakas for the price -- great steel, easy to sharpen, and I like the look and feel. I wouldn't call them a laser, though, even though they're generally reasonably thin at the spine. Like lots of kurouchi knives, they're pretty flat until you get down to the primary bevel, so the knife overall has more mass than something that is more gradually convexed, like a Konosuke (or lots of others).

Of those three, if you really want a laser, I'd go for the Richmond. Keep in mind that you're then in the same ballpark as a Gesshin Ginga, or a Konosuke HH funayuki/gyuto if you want something with the slimmer/lower tip. That's really what I'd go for.

I like AS Moritakas for the price -- great steel, easy to sharpen, and I like the look and feel. I wouldn't call them a laser, though, even though they're generally reasonably thin at the spine. Like lots of kurouchi knives, they're pretty flat until you get down to the primary bevel, so the knife overall has more mass than something that is more gradually convexed, like a Konosuke (or lots of others).

Of those three, if you really want a laser, I'd go for the Richmond. Keep in mind that you're then in the same ballpark as a Gesshin Ginga, or a Konosuke HH funayuki/gyuto if you want something with the slimmer/lower tip. That's really what I'd go for.

Have you personally compared the Richmond Laser to the other knives you recommend it over? Why do you recommend the Richmond over the Ginga?

Based on the grind issues we've seen here with various Richmond knives, unless you're sure that the grind is done well or better than the Ginga (for example), I would like to know why you would recommend the Laser over a Ginga. With a saya, the Richmond Laser is $10.00 more than the Ginga, which comes with a saya.

I can personally attest to the fact that the Ginga is a very good cutter. I own the 240 White #2 gyuto. It's thin behind the edge, has excellent balance, is a very good cutter, very sharp OOTB, not very reactive and has great fit and finish, which is something that has been an issue with Richmond knives. As for the profile, the Ginga doesn't have much of a belly and although the tip may be higher (I can't personally say as I've never compared the two), the Ginga has a very nice profile in my opinion. In fact, it's my go to gyuto over the other gyutos that I own.

Have you personally compared the Richmond Laser to the other knives you recommend it over?

Read it again Michael. He is actually recommending the Gesshin or the Konusuke.

Do you own the GINGA and what steel is it doesnt say there...thin begind the edge?

If your asking about the stainless version....Swedish steel hardened to RHC 61, sharpens easy, great edge retention, gets plenty sharp.
Also, I would like to add that due to the overall lightness of the knife many people that commonly use 240mm gyutos size up to 270mm for knives such as this one. And the blade lengths run alittle short.

If your asking about the stainless version....Swedish steel hardened to RHC 61, sharpens easy, great edge retention, gets plenty sharp.
Also, I would like to add that due to the overall lightness of the knife many people that commonly use 240mm gyutos size up to 270mm for knives such as this one. And the blade lengths run alittle short.

What does it come in stainless, white#2 whats better cuttingwise

What does it come in stainless, white#2 whats better cuttingwise

From what I recall Jon (of Japanese Knife Imports) saying, they're the same knife, just different steel. One is not necessarily going to be better aside from manufacturing variations. There may be differences in feel, and likely sharpening, edge retention, and such, but cutting performance is likely going to be extremely similar.

Read it again Michael. He is actually recommending the Gesshin or the Konusuke.

Yup, that's what I meant: by the time you clear $200, the Gesshin or Konosuke start to become a lot more attractive. Hard to go wrong with either of them.

I really like the Konosuke funayuki/gyuto blade shape, so that would be the deciding factor.

Back