Quantcast
Just wanted to share Some Food pics and knife action shots from My last restaurant. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just wanted to share Some Food pics and knife action shots from My last restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by ms4awd View Post
    Never thought i would ever say that but you live and learn.
    Thanks for the info! We all have to adapt to some degree. I never would have thought I'd see a cultivated Morel!
    Sea Trout here is very under utilized but it's a fish that Sportsman have prized as long as I can remember.
    Pen farmed Salmon is the Tasmanian I'm familiar with. What we get here looks like it's an Atlantic Salmon strain but does have very nice flesh. The Tasmanian Salmon is just as much as Wild Alaskan Salmon here but the flesh is more appealing than most of the other farmed/pond raised Salmon I see.
    Copper River Sockeyes this season are over $22 a pound with Wild Kings hitting $15-18 (retail).
    When you were in LA did you ever have the chance to try Kampachi from Kona Blue? They used Spherical net pens in deep water off Hi. It was a very interesting operation and they had a great product but AFAIK they are now closed.
    It's always cool to see products from a different part of the world.
    Now lets see the knives! :

Dave
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Quote Originally Posted by ms4awd View Post
    will have to ask about that, maybe my purveyor can source it for us... Thanks for the info
    Petuna is the "brand" to try for
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Beautiful work - and I was just looking at some beef cheeks yesterday. Do you skin your eels before preparing them?

Beautiful work - and I was just looking at some beef cheeks yesterday. Do you skin your eels before preparing them?
    For the eel i find it easier to skin after cooking if its cooked in a braise/simmer or sous vide, we do what i termed a burnt confit :with that variety in the pic, basically start it submerged in cold fat place in an oven at about 280f to soften (confit)then we up tge temp to 350 and leave it until its crispy like chicharones... For that we leave the skin on... In tge pic its a yellow eel much leaner than unagi or anago not good for bbq or grilling, we either do the crispy thing or we sousvide it after skinning and use it for tempura... For gray/silver/bpack eels any skin removal is always after cooking... If the eel you use has thick skin you can skin before cooking if its thinner skin they can crispen up if riasted or grilled much like salmon skin and are delicious left on...

If leaving Skin on eel and grilling score the skin so the eel doesnt curl up

When you were in LA did you ever have the chance to try Kampachi from Kona Blue
    I did try it a couple times more for personal consumption, much leaner than hamachi or even japanese kanpachi... Never got to use it at work mostly japanese kanpachi wa on the menu

Knife pics coming soon had a bit of turnover in the collection waiting on some special ones to come in...

If you are not skinning why nail the head? Is that for more control gutting the slippery buggers?

Dave
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Nailing the head helps to keep the eel from sliding on the board and it makes it easier to keep thr body straight when filetting, for some eels the guts/belly is 1/3 of the body it allows me to filet the portion after the belly in one quick slicing motion along the bone, i filet from the back/top of the eel so by the belly i have to do kind of a sawing motion one hand on the knife the other feeling the tip of the knife through the skin so i dont break the skin... The skin helps keep the filets in tact when braising, the eel in the pic the belly cavity is almost all the way to the tail so the spike allows me to pull it taut while filleting

I also learned a cool trick to help get rid of the slime if the eel, we get them live so what we do is dump them in an ice bath so they become unconscious, chop behind the nape to kill the eel, nail the head then we lather the body with ap flour then use a knife along the body to scale the eel, the ap absorbs most of the slime and you just dust with more as needed we can clean them in half tge time... For a while i was getting .8-1kg giant unagi about 6pcs twice a week this method saved us a lot of time in preprep on the eels...

Thank you for that - I love eel and we have abundant supply across the river in the tributaries. It's delicious smoked too.

I might get some beef cheek for the weekend - they sell it at Walmart of all places. I was thinking of low temp smoking for a couple of hours on Saturday then braising on Sunday.

Petuna is the "brand" to try for
    Thanks Huw... Have heard of Petuna i believe its the company Tetsuya Wakuda sources from IIRC, been trying to get my purveyors that import from oz to bring some of their products in, that and blackmore ranch really like what he's doing with his beef...

+ Reply to Thread