Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for web hosting help

Looking for web hosting help

Hi everyone,

a while ago my website had been hacked and is infected with malware. I had not paid much attention to it and wanted to get to it whenever I have time, but now I also cannot access several emails that run through this hosting service (hostmonster.com). They want $250 per domain for cleaning it up plus over $100/year for basic malware protection. I thought that was what I paid them monthly fees for, and I feel exploited, especially because I had paid that before when it got hacked a couple of years ago. - Or is that standard procedure? In any case, I need to decide whether I pay, get 30 days of protection, and then deal with this crap again or whether I find a place where I can build up my site again. Any thoughts? Any recommendations for hosting services that provide decent and affordable protection against hacking/malware? I also need some tips on how I can transfer my domains etc to a new host.

Thanks,

Stefan

That sounds like a BS. What kind of web hosting do you need?

IT is BS. What do you need?

I really only need 1) the handle website, i.e. transfer the japanesehandles.com domain and build it up again with Wordpress, adding a couple of email addresses to it. The most complicated part of that would be the option for a simple shop system, but I made it so far without one, I could drop that if it complicates things. 2) transfer my private domain skelleronline.com - I never got to setting anything up there, so it would be at most another Wordpress site if I ever get to it. I do, however, use this domain name for several email accounts which I hope to keep under the same addresses. If that doesn't work, I can start over again... Other than that, just protection against hacking for a reasonable price.

Stefan

Use Namecheap or GODAddy hosting, they support wordpress and most e-commerce solutions

you should definitely switch to a hosting provider who doesn't try to screw you like that... They should be cleaning up their own servers for the sake of preserving the integrity of their own datacentre...

chances are your website was compromised by something you uploaded, for instance popular software like WordPress is full of security vulnerabilities (which are patched regularly, however if you do not update your software on a regular basis or have the know-how, you are bound to run into this again).
    "The self-seeking man who is looking after his personal comforts and leading a lazy life- there is no room for him even in hell" - Narendranath Dutta

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbroth View Post
    you should definitely switch to a hosting provider who doesn't try to screw you like that... They should be cleaning up their own servers for the sake of preserving the integrity of their own datacentre...

chances are your website was compromised by something you uploaded, for instance popular software like WordPress is full of security vulnerabilities (which are patched regularly, however if you do not update your software on a regular basis or have the know-how, you are bound to run into this again).
    From what I understood, someone hacked in there through Wordpress and turned my handle site into a store for cheap Chinese junk... I have looked at a number of hosting sites, so far a2hosting is my favorite from the whole package, reviews, and security feaures. I will make a decision this weekend, thanks for all your comments,

Stefan

How much are you paying now?

You can check out SquareSpace, Shopify, etc. In general, I recommend going with this type of services, especially if you are not writing custom WP stuff yourself. They provide better customer service, and handle all to software updates, security, etc.

For email hosting, you can just use zoho.com, I host my wife's business email on there for free. You can also set it up such that if forwards to your Gmail account.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you need some help.
    Steve

What is included or not included in your fees is extremely dependent on the exact provider and hosting model chosen. Are they billing your for these $250 or are they offering a cleanup service for $250? In the first case, transferring the domain could prove difficult if you refuse to pay.I would always recommend to buy your domain from a different reseller (who should also offer to host your DNS records) so you cannot be extorted for the transfer code.

Before making any off-the-mark recommendations: Are you capable of managing a root server (and willing to), or are you looking into a fully-managed solution?

You can consider asphostportal as your another option. I have hosted my wordpress sites with them for 4 years. I move to them without any charge (FREE). They have good malware and hack protection. Their support is also good and fast. Never disappoint me.