Quantcast
Carter Prices - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Carter Prices

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    Yep. The main reason I didn't pull the trigger is because the handles are offensive to my eyes.
    Agreed! His handles show no sence of what looks good together. I saw a knife with blue Corian as a spacer!! I think he would be better off with a no handle option. He does look like he is doing well so I guess there is no accounting for taste.

You don't see them on BST so the knives themselves must be great.

I do enjoy his videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill13 View Post
    Agreed! His handles show no sence of what looks good together. I saw a knife with blue Corian as a spacer!! I think he would be better off with a no handle option. He does look like he is doing well so I guess there is no accounting for taste.
    It's all subjective, really. Some of his handles may be unattractive, but I find some of them downright sexy...

Quote Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
    It's all subjective, really. Some of his handles may be unattractive, but I find some of them downright sexy...

imo that is a mess. 4 different materials?

Sometimes less is more.

Very hit and miss with the handles... way too many elements which in most cases don't have any synergy

Some of them look nice until you see the top and bottom of them. I think he's being a little cheap with the fancy handles, they'd look way better if he drilled the tang and used one piece of wood rather than having the bit in the middle

I used to wrap black electrical tape over the corian spacer on the carter I owned
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Agreed that his new custom handles aren't as nice as the ones we're accustomed to on KFF. As such, I miss the days when he had throwaway handles on his knives. But I can't begrudge Carter for raising his prices. If the market can bear it, he should do it. We need more builders and makers in America, and if this provides him and his family a nice living and promotes others to follow suit, that's not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pkjames View Post
    I am not saying Carter is bad, just I don't see what is so special about carter, apart from made in US. Of course, this is could well change if I had a chance to use it
    Being made in the US is not what is special about Carters. They won't win on looks, but they are incredible cutters. I hope you have a chance to use one some day.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    as usual, they are all short. He makes far too many in the 140-200 length for my tastes. But I'm sure that's what most people want who have been accustomed to the german knife block sets, where the chef's knife is often 150 - 200.
    And if you do find one 230 or higher its almost 2k for it, with a plain handle. My biggest complaint is way to small. But I did just buy https://www.cartercutlery.com/japane...ustom-handle-1

Price is right, can use it as a petty.
    Chewie's the man.

deleted

+ Reply to Thread