Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carter Prices

Carter Prices

Been away for a while, I just noticed that Carter prices have gone up since I last checked... And the difference I've seen are the handles... I guess with a lot of people who gave not so good comments about his handles, he decided not to even offer the ebony and ho-wood handles anymore (that's for the high grade series anyway).

$551 for a 7 1/2 inch funayuki? that's almost $200 more since I last checked. Is this happening for all other knife makers? or is a supply and demand kind of thing?

Karlo

it's my understanding that steel prices in general are going up. plus with Carter no longer taking custom orders ( in fact I believe he canceled on a lengthy list of customers in waiting) hid prices took an almost immediate hike.
    I'm wondering if that means those who have a Carter will be able to get a bigger return if selling it now...

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    I'm wondering if that means those who have a Carter will be able to get a bigger return if selling it now...
    Good question... I think so... Better hold on to my carter... Cause lookin at it now, my knife's value will double in probably a year's time... Crazy...

The only thing that bugs me is the premium paid for those handles. Otherwise, we all have to deal with or face up to the costs of running a business.

Supply and demand. When he sells out of every knife he makes in very little time, that means that he can charge more. The handles perhaps help to "justify" the price a bit more, but I'm sure that the extra time and materials involved in making them does not come close to the extra price.

I appreciate that he's made some tough decisions like dedicating himself to just 1 type of steel and now to one type of production (producing batches only; no 1-off customs). He's said that he feels that this type of narrowed focus and specialization makes allows him to develop a higher level of mastery. It also means that more people will have a chance to own one of his knives; which is better for us... or would be if the new pricing didn't put them very near to the cost of a full custom from other makers. Agree or disagree with his feelings and business practices, I like the guy and wish him success. Sadly though, I don't really care for the new "high grade handles" (or not enough to justify the price), for the money I'd rather have someone from Mr. Keller or some of the other talented folks on here... and I kinda feel the same way about the blades at this point too.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I suppose it's either raise prices a bit every year, to coincide with inflation, cost of living, and the price of materials, or wait a few years and then hike them.
    Either way, prices will go up over time. I would certainly expect a raise or promotion after working for the same company for a few years, I'd say Murray deserves it.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I got one of the last blue kitchen knives. But I notice he still uses the steel for other knives.

I myself see that what I like and look for as for a size he is way higher than I can afford. He is in the prices of custom makers. I just think he priced himself out of his market.(or my) Time will tell.

I hate it when restaurants do this. They usually either go out of business and have no idea why. Or they end up picking up a totally different group.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post

I myself see that what I like and look for as for a size he is way higher than I can afford. He is in the prices of custom makers. I just think he priced himself out of his market.(or my) Time will tell.
    Surely given his background/experience this is reasonable?. Okay, so maybe you can't get a custom spec knife, but how many custom knife makers (who offer a 9 inch gyuto for around $700) can match Murray's pedigree when it comes to making kitchen knives?

Lets put a little perspective on this. Take one new facility, four full time employees and a family of six and you need to produce some serious income. He's working the dream and it's paying off. The only time I can afford to buy one is when he's running a 25% off sale like he did recently, or catch a break on a BST deal.

I think we forget that Murray is an actual Master Smith. To get a knife made by him for anywhere from $550-750 is technically a "steal", compared to most MS makers.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com