Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carter Prices

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Have you ever used one? He has clearly developed his own style; it's not just another j-blade but made in the US. And if you really want one from A (single guy, not a small factory) japanese master of equivalent skill and reputation, prices are not going to be that much different.
    what you said could well be the case. And being in down under, it is a bit hard to try and sell if you don't like it, because we will lose a lot in shipping.
    so, at similar price to say, a shig or a kato, I wont just buy a carter without having a chance to try first. Instead, I'd more likely to get a knife from a well-known master from japan who is probably in the business for 40yrs + and with great reputation.

I am not saying Carter is bad, just I don't see what is so special about carter, apart from made in US. Of course, this is could well change if I had a chance to use it

I love Murray's knives and the price hike is nothing but good ol' supply & demand.

On the other hand, I'd love to know where is he getting his customer base, the YouTube videos seem to get a lot of views but I'm not sure how much of those translates into sales and I don't see that many posts in the kitchen knife forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
    I love Murray's knives and the price hike is nothing but good ol' supply & demand.

On the other hand, I'd love to know where is he getting his customer base, the YouTube videos seem to get a lot of views but I'm not sure how much of those translates into sales and I don't see that many posts in the kitchen knife forums.
    Carter's knives were incredibly popular/fashionable at one point. The forums tap into the Zeitgeist, there is a bias towards newer/more esoteric things.

As far as western kitchen knife makers go, he is one of the most established, I'm sure he has a loyal customer base.

I own three....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I own one of his entry-level no frill blue steel nakiri's and I am always amazed at how well it cuts. I would definitely buy another knife from Murray in the future because I know it be a great cutter. My only problem is that there are so many other great makers here in the U.S. that I don't have knives from yet, (Pierre, Devin, Randy, Luke S. and Marko) that it will be a while before I purchase another one.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by pkjames View Post
    .... I'd more likely to get a knife from a well-known master from japan who is probably in the business for 40yrs...
    ...I don't see what is so special about carter, apart from made in US. Of course, this is could well change if I had a chance to use it
    MC's knives are currently made in the U.S., but a) he's Canadian, and b) he's spent the greater portion of his adult life in Japan. I don't know if it makes him special, but he is an ABS master bladesmith and was also designated the 17th generation Yoshimoto bladesmith who also produces kitchen knives. That's a pretty select group of knifemakers. I came across this quote...

"I believe he is the only Caucasian Japanese bladesmith," says Joe Kertzman, managing editor of Blade Magazine. [who] says Carter may rank among the top 10 living bladesmiths in the world, and easily among the top 50. "

In the 17 +/- years I've been hanging around these forums, the most consistent complaint about MC's knives concerned his cheesy handles on the lower prices knives.

And the most popular thing was to take his lower priced knives and immediately have them rehandled. Now he's just doing it himself, and his handles are quite nice these days. Maybe an unusually array of material choices, but much better than the custom handles he was doing in the past.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

30% sale now on on all kitchen knives until 4 July if anyone is interested?

Quote Originally Posted by scott6452 View Post
    30% sale now on on all kitchen knives until 4 July if anyone is interested?
    Some nice bargains here. http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=Hg0...Hpn4Oi0sVTmO4w

God damn 45$ shipping to get one of his knives over here totally obliterates the discount