Quantcast
Carter Prices - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Carter Prices

Funny watching this on his site. Knives that haven't moved in a while are all sold now. I'm quite sure it's due to the 30% off! Wonder if this is a prelude to a small price drop? Hmmmmm?

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    It is for me. I also saw a few for a couple hundred bf coupon, they were out fast.
    Chewie's the man.

Mine came yesterday and they are thin, well balanced, scary sharp and extremely efficient cutting machines. The best OOTB edges I've ever experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscoNole View Post
    Just looked at his website...$3,100 for a blemished yanagiba? yikes!
    Just saw that this was marked as sold on Murray's website! Wowza! Which one of you was it?

I think whether Murray's products are worth the price is totally subjective. I recall seeing Bill Gates interviewed once and he was asked if he felt guilty making billions of dollars by selling software on a disk that can be reproduced for practically nothing. His answer was interesting. He said that he didn't feel guilt because in our society people only pay for a product if they find value in it at the asking price. Otherwise, people have the option to buy something else or nothing at all. In the same sense I think it is ok if people want to spend their money on Carter cutlery. I've owned several Carter knives and I sold them all. They just aren't for me. Yes, they are good knives but like in every consumer item there is a point of diminishing returns. Is a 600$ Carter better than a 300$ Watanabe? Maybe. Twice as good? Absolutely not. At least not from where I'm cutting.

One also has to consider that a super high-end knife is only going to perform as well as its last sharpening. I've met more than a few Carter owners who were quck to declare that Murray makes the best knives in the world but at the same time their knives didn't perform well because they lacked the skills to sharpen the knife anywhere near its potential. How much were those knives worth? As much as they were willing to pay, regardless. Everyone has different criteria for evaluating an items value and they are all valid. I think Murray makes a great product but given the alternatives it isn't a product that I personally feel is worth the money.

"One also has to consider that a super high-end knife is only going to perform as well as its last sharpening. I've met more than a few Carter owners who were quck to declare that Murray makes the best knives in the world but at the same time their knives didn't perform well because they lacked the skills to sharpen the knife anywhere near its potential."

Now there is an outstanding statement! A well sharpened Victorinox is better than a dull Kramer any day of the week. And anyone that thinks he can send his knives out for professional sharpening once or twice a year is working with dull knives most of the time.

Let me put it another way - I can sharpen ergo my Carters take a much finer edge than even my "high end" knives - Hiro AS, Yoshihiro, Takagi, Kono HD, etc. The forging, heat treat and geometry are really a cut above the pack.

I agree that his ootb edge is crazy sharp. I was very impressed...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com