Carter Prices

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloevaristo

Banned
Reaction score
Been away for a while, I just noticed that Carter prices have gone up since I last checked... And the difference I've seen are the handles... I guess with a lot of people who gave not so good comments about his handles, he decided not to even offer the ebony and ho-wood handles anymore (that's for the high grade series anyway).

$551 for a 7 1/2 inch funayuki? that's almost $200 more since I last checked. Is this happening for all other knife makers? or is a supply and demand kind of thing?

Karlo

it's my understanding that steel prices in general are going up. plus with Carter no longer taking custom orders ( in fact I believe he canceled on a lengthy list of customers in waiting) hid prices took an almost immediate hike.
I'm wondering if that means those who have a Carter will be able to get a bigger return if selling it now...

I'm wondering if that means those who have a Carter will be able to get a bigger return if selling it now...

Good question... I think so... Better hold on to my carter... Cause lookin at it now, my knife's value will double in probably a year's time... Crazy...

The only thing that bugs me is the premium paid for those handles. Otherwise, we all have to deal with or face up to the costs of running a business.

Supply and demand. When he sells out of every knife he makes in very little time, that means that he can charge more. The handles perhaps help to "justify" the price a bit more, but I'm sure that the extra time and materials involved in making them does not come close to the extra price.

I appreciate that he's made some tough decisions like dedicating himself to just 1 type of steel and now to one type of production (producing batches only; no 1-off customs). He's said that he feels that this type of narrowed focus and specialization makes allows him to develop a higher level of mastery. It also means that more people will have a chance to own one of his knives; which is better for us... or would be if the new pricing didn't put them very near to the cost of a full custom from other makers. Agree or disagree with his feelings and business practices, I like the guy and wish him success. Sadly though, I don't really care for the new "high grade handles" (or not enough to justify the price), for the money I'd rather have someone from Mr. Keller or some of the other talented folks on here... and I kinda feel the same way about the blades at this point too.

I suppose it's either raise prices a bit every year, to coincide with inflation, cost of living, and the price of materials, or wait a few years and then hike them.
Either way, prices will go up over time. I would certainly expect a raise or promotion after working for the same company for a few years, I'd say Murray deserves it.

I got one of the last blue kitchen knives. But I notice he still uses the steel for other knives.

I myself see that what I like and look for as for a size he is way higher than I can afford. He is in the prices of custom makers. I just think he priced himself out of his market.(or my) Time will tell.

I hate it when restaurants do this. They usually either go out of business and have no idea why. Or they end up picking up a totally different group.

I myself see that what I like and look for as for a size he is way higher than I can afford. He is in the prices of custom makers. I just think he priced himself out of his market.(or my) Time will tell.

Surely given his background/experience this is reasonable?. Okay, so maybe you can't get a custom spec knife, but how many custom knife makers (who offer a 9 inch gyuto for around $700) can match Murray's pedigree when it comes to making kitchen knives?

Lets put a little perspective on this. Take one new facility, four full time employees and a family of six and you need to produce some serious income. He's working the dream and it's paying off. The only time I can afford to buy one is when he's running a 25% off sale like he did recently, or catch a break on a BST deal.

I think we forget that Murray is an actual Master Smith. To get a knife made by him for anywhere from $550-750 is technically a "steal", compared to most MS makers.

It may be a steal by ABS standards but I dropped out of the market when he made that jump from something like an average price of $150-200 to the current $500 level. And I used to be one of his best customers. Same goes for Takeda, I know he is wondering why I just walk on by his table these days. There are limits to how much a working kitchen knife is worth to me. ABS guys like to think of their knives as collectable art that will increase in value rather than every day cutting tools. That is great if there is a market but it won't be to me.

Murray is doing something different than any other MS kitchen knife maker that I know of: He's producing a much higher volume at a (now just slightly) lower price, but at the sacrifice of customization and, I think you could argue, quality.
I know that he claims that he makes better knives when he gets into the rhythm of batch production, but I still don't think that you can compare the finished product to what you see from the likes of Burke or Rader, or even some non-MS makers like Devin WillC. Randy, Butch and maybe even Fowler at this point.

I'm not saying that Carter is any less skilled; just that for the past few years, he's been increasing his focus on making a different level of knife: factory laminated steel, quick, rough forging, course, deep grind marks, -FF that is perfectly fine and functional, but not at exhibition / showpiece levels. Other makers have experimented with trying to increase production quantity and reduce price though various permutations of "mid-tech" but it seems like Carter is the first to crack that nut and develop something sustainable and profitable. His knives are certainly unique and he's found a niche, but the problem is that a few years ago the neighboring niches in his price bracket where special-edition Shun's and production knives from large Saki makers. Now he's moved up well above the where most of top end "regular" stuff from JKI stops and into the range of "Jon's special reserve" (special order), or full custom form a variety of other very very talented makers. His knives are now competing with knives that can give them some serious competition.

I still like his work, and I still think that his knives are "worth it" but I don't think that you can call them a "steal" anymore. I am all for people getting paid what their work is worth, and I'm happy that Carter is able to provide for himself and his family and create jobs for people that want to use skill and their hands to make things of utility and value for other humans. What he's doing is a good thing for himself, everyone around him, and the k-knife world as a whole, just not for folks who enjoy the chance to but awesome knives for bargain prices.

Hmm. Good argument, and I'll admit you have a very good point. I miss the old throw away handles and low price as much as the next guy, but I guess I also get what he's doing. All things considered, I just wish I could get either a full custom, or only a blade from him.

don't see the fuss of the carter knives. To me, he was trained in japan, and makes japanese kitchen knives using japanese steel in us.
i'd rather stick with the ones from japanese masters at lower cost.

don't see the fuss of the carter knives. To me, he was trained in japan, and makes japanese kitchen knives using japanese steel in us.
i'd rather stick with the ones from japanese masters at lower cost.

Have you ever used one? He has clearly developed his own style; it's not just another j-blade but made in the US. And if you really want one from A (single guy, not a small factory) japanese master of equivalent skill and reputation, prices are not going to be that much different.

I love my Carters. My 150'ish kurouchi petty is the bee's knees, and I'd pay the full price for it all over again ($340). Nothing I've used (and I've used a few) gets as sharp, and is as pleasurable to use. And he's an amazingly crazy-cool dude; character goes along way in my book.

Chris is also right. I like Murray, and I love his knives. I dunno...arguing over price at all, on this forum, seems kinda crazy. Haha

I have only six Carters left, and really hated to let go each one of the other ones...

My 2 cts.

Stefan

I was amazed to see how simple and utilitarian his handles were. Love the blade, but the handle just screams department store lol. This is one of his older knives, not a new one from todays lines.

Have you ever used one? He has clearly developed his own style; it's not just another j-blade but made in the US. And if you really want one from A (single guy, not a small factory) japanese master of equivalent skill and reputation, prices are not going to be that much different.

what you said could well be the case. And being in down under, it is a bit hard to try and sell if you don't like it, because we will lose a lot in shipping.
so, at similar price to say, a shig or a kato, I wont just buy a carter without having a chance to try first. Instead, I'd more likely to get a knife from a well-known master from japan who is probably in the business for 40yrs + and with great reputation.

I am not saying Carter is bad, just I don't see what is so special about carter, apart from made in US. Of course, this is could well change if I had a chance to use it :)

I love Murray's knives and the price hike is nothing but good ol' supply & demand.

On the other hand, I'd love to know where is he getting his customer base, the YouTube videos seem to get a lot of views but I'm not sure how much of those translates into sales and I don't see that many posts in the kitchen knife forums.

I love Murray's knives and the price hike is nothing but good ol' supply & demand.

On the other hand, I'd love to know where is he getting his customer base, the YouTube videos seem to get a lot of views but I'm not sure how much of those translates into sales and I don't see that many posts in the kitchen knife forums.

Carter's knives were incredibly popular/fashionable at one point. The forums tap into the Zeitgeist, there is a bias towards newer/more esoteric things.

As far as western kitchen knife makers go, he is one of the most established, I'm sure he has a loyal customer base.

I own one of his entry-level no frill blue steel nakiri's and I am always amazed at how well it cuts. I would definitely buy another knife from Murray in the future because I know it be a great cutter. My only problem is that there are so many other great makers here in the U.S. that I don't have knives from yet, (Pierre, Devin, Randy, Luke S. and Marko) that it will be a while before I purchase another one.

.... I'd more likely to get a knife from a well-known master from japan who is probably in the business for 40yrs...
...I don't see what is so special about carter, apart from made in US. Of course, this is could well change if I had a chance to use it :)

MC's knives are currently made in the U.S., but a) he's Canadian, and b) he's spent the greater portion of his adult life in Japan. I don't know if it makes him special, but he is an ABS master bladesmith and was also designated the 17th generation Yoshimoto bladesmith who also produces kitchen knives. That's a pretty select group of knifemakers. I came across this quote...

"I believe he is the only Caucasian Japanese bladesmith," says Joe Kertzman, managing editor of Blade Magazine. [who] says Carter may rank among the top 10 living bladesmiths in the world, and easily among the top 50. "

In the 17 +/- years I've been hanging around these forums, the most consistent complaint about MC's knives concerned his cheesy handles on the lower prices knives.

And the most popular thing was to take his lower priced knives and immediately have them rehandled. Now he's just doing it himself, and his handles are quite nice these days. Maybe an unusually array of material choices, but much better than the custom handles he was doing in the past.

30% sale now on on all kitchen knives until 4 July if anyone is interested?

God damn 45$ shipping to get one of his knives over here totally obliterates the discount

Back