Quantcast
The White #2 Experience - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The White #2 Experience

chuck, what knives do you like that are made from white steel that have decent edge retention and heat treat? i found many differences in white steel performance varying from maker to maker but none that i would consider to have decent edge retention.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck239 View Post

I am just curious exactly which white steel knives you have all used that you hated so much?

-Chuck
    Carter.

His blue was not bad, sucks he does not use it anymore. But his white.......

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    chuck, what knives do you like that are made from white steel that have decent edge retention and heat treat? i found many differences in white steel performance varying from maker to maker but none that i would consider to have decent edge retention.
    Carter, gengetsu, Gesshin Ittetsu, gesshin ginga Honyaki (being one of my favorite knives period), Gesshin Uraku single beveled knives, I feel like I am forgetting one or 2.

Like I said before, I have also used several white steel knives that I have disliked very much. What what steel knives have you felt had terrible edge retention? I am curious as to what other people are seeing.... I have personally seen a few. Just curious as to others opinions.

-Chuck

I had a Masamoto KS and the edge retention was not good. I used a Sakai Yusuke suji for a while and the edge retention was better than the Masamoto but still not what I'd call good. I found that with these knives once the edge started to lose its sharpness at all I almost needed to strop after every cut. I have 2 of Tilman's knives and the edge retention is way better. I'm not trying to say they're screaming sharp after a month, but they're still useable and I don't have to continually strop every 5 mins like with the white steel knives. I work 6 days a week so I don't sharpen as often as I'd like so I kinda baby the knives a little to get them to go that long, but with the white steel knives I tried it was impossible

Steven,

I have actually never owned the 2 knives you talked about. I did get to use a KS and I liked it (profile) but the edge retention was not great. I will say the knives I mentions all had better edge retention then the masamoto I got to use. But again, my main point is I still feel it is all about heat treatment. It really doesn't matter which steel it matters how it was treated. I own a Tilman and have not been blown away by the edge retention to be honest. It's a very good knife but not one of my best for edge retention. I do like my knives very sharp at work and don;t get a long time out of them but I have never been satisfied with the edge on my Tilman after a dew days at work.

I guess my point is, I have used blue steel, CMP, 52100, 0-1, powdered steels, so on and so forth... And been very disappointed with knives by certain makers using these steels. But It is not the steel, it is the heat treatment. Because I have also used knives in many of those steels that were very good knives with great edge retention... I will just keep preaching that I don't think it is a singular steel that is bad, I believe it is the heat treatment of each individual knife.

-Chuck

chuck which heat treats did you find the best retention from? ease of sharpening is something i also value so i look for a balance. i will sacrifice ultimate sharpness for either one of those qualities (wear & ease) without hesitation

I agree. The knives I've had made with white #2 just seem to WANT to get sharp. I've only been freehand sharpening a year or so, but I find the white #2 knives uniquely satisfying. I picked up an Ashi Hamono Cleaver in white #2 from BST a while back. It arrived not particularly sharp, but I put it tentatively and briefly on my 1200 Bester and 5k Rika- and BANG- it cuts tomatoes without my holding them. And I've gone two months since then with just stropping on balsa with CBN. Admittedly, I'm a home cook, so edge retention isn't a priority, but I really can't complain.

ive owned konosuke, carter, sakai yusuke and masamoto white steel gyutos. Atleast those are the only ones that come to mind at the moment. sakai yusuke had the best retention of them all while i think konosuke had the worst. Carter and Masamoto were somewhere in the middle. That being said, none of these knives had good edge retention. White steel gyutos are for people who want screaming sharp edges quickly and dont mind touching up their blades daily, atleast in professional kitchens.
    on the other end of the spectrum ive used gesshin gingas, suisin inox honyakis, konosuke hd, misono 440 and swed stainless, DT ITK, and tojiro just to name a few. ofcourse the retention varies between these stainless knives but to me the strategy is to get through the work week with a good edge and just resharpening on my day off.

Quote Originally Posted by jayhay View Post
    I like a toothier edge, so I don't go crazy high in the stones or with the strops. I generally stop with stones at around 4-5k and then strop with boron carbide on leather.
    Why do you rather an edge with bite? Is there benefit to this?

So different brands of stones have important property difference?

Is it safe to used a leather belt to strop?

Quote Originally Posted by chuck239 View Post

I guess my point is, I have used blue steel, CMP, 52100, 0-1, powdered steels, so on and so forth... And been very disappointed with knives by certain makers using these steels. But It is not the steel, it is the heat treatment. Because I have also used knives in many of those steels that were very good knives with great edge retention... I will just keep preaching that I don't think it is a singular steel that is bad, I believe it is the heat treatment of each individual knife.

-Chuck
    I understand what you are saying Chuck and I have a feeling that some of the higher end White #2 knives that JKI carry for example would be better than those I have tried because if they weren't I don't think Jon would sell them. At the same time though you know the saying "Once bitten twice shy"

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    White steel gyutos are for people who want screaming sharp edges quickly and dont mind touching up their blades daily, at least in professional kitchens.
    I think this is fair, and that kind of person is the total opposite to me

+ Reply to Thread