Quantcast
Do we really have a expensive hobby in knives?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we really have a expensive hobby in knives?

Do we really have a expensive hobby in knives?

No, if you consider collecting wedding hats a hobby.

I used to be into high end audio equipment. Nothing is expensive compared to that. 400 dollar vacuum tubes, 1000 dollar speaker wire, and all the other nuttery that comes with it. Just go to Audiogon.com and check out the prices for used gear.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Remember my post a couple weeks ago on the $1000 Popsicle? I have friends into really tricked out guns that cost thousands. My neighbor restores antique cars that are worth the price of small houses. We're all crazy :-)
    -M

Wine. Whereas most collectors have a few dozen or may a couple hundred of whatever it is they fancy, winos often have several thousand bottles in their cellars. I know one guy in Napa whose cellar has been featured in Wine Spectator a couple of times -- over 5,000 bottles, many large format (i.e., Magnums, Jeborams, Methusulas, etc., some engraved), easily worth a couple million. Top-end wines from California can run a couple hundred per bottle, and the best Bordeaux can be over $1000 per bottle when new. Add a few years of age and the prices can easily double. And unlike other collectibles, wine gets consumed.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    I used to be into high end audio equipment. Nothing is expensive compared to that. 400 dollar vacuum tubes, 1000 dollar speaker wire, and all the other nuttery that comes with it. Just go to Audiogon.com and check out the prices for used gear.
    This. I was into headphone stuff for a while... still am a little bit. Even a modest headphone setup will run you well over a grand, unless you build your own stuff like I did. The crazy thing about the audio stuff is that so much of it is snake oil... like for serious absolute snake oil. When you as a company can buy a couple hundred meters of copper wire for less than $500 bucks, cut it into 1 meter segments, drop it in liquid nitrogen for a week, then sell them for several thousand dollars a pair, something is wrong. The audiophile consumer has really killed that market for people who really do want something that sounds better than a crappy Bose but doesn't want to pay out of the arse for it. I never was even able to get into an actual "high end" stereo system, the cost was just way to high. When people will drop $100k for a turntable... well, then you can begin to imagine what the whole system costs... not to mention the dedicated rooms you can build for the equipment.

As hobbies go, collecting kitchen knives is not all that expensive. Of course everything is relative. If you're making $25k a year then you might think collecting pricey Japanese knives is very expensive but compared to collecting cars it's really cheap. How much more fun is it to collect cars than kitchen knives? Depends on who you are. I'd rather collect kitchen knives. I've had a lot of fun learning how to sharpen and collecting knives worth the effort.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Well, my wife likes to say when I get caught up in knife geek stuff: "At least you're not out whoring." I think that is pretty funny, but she is probably right. Frequenting prostitutes would be pretty expensive I bet and there is nothing to show for it.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Well, my wife likes to say when I get caught up in knife geek stuff: "At least you're not out whoring." I think that is pretty funny, but she is probably right. Frequenting prostitutes would be pretty expensive I bet and there is nothing to show for it.

k.
    Except maybe doctor bills!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    This. I was into headphone stuff for a while... still am a little bit. Even a modest headphone setup will run you well over a grand, unless you build your own stuff like I did. The crazy thing about the audio stuff is that so much of it is snake oil... like for serious absolute snake oil. When you as a company can buy a couple hundred meters of copper wire for less than $500 bucks, cut it into 1 meter segments, drop it in liquid nitrogen for a week, then sell them for several thousand dollars a pair, something is wrong. The audiophile consumer has really killed that market for people who really do want something that sounds better than a crappy Bose but doesn't want to pay out of the arse for it. I never was even able to get into an actual "high end" stereo system, the cost was just way to high. When people will drop $100k for a turntable... well, then you can begin to imagine what the whole system costs... not to mention the dedicated rooms you can build for the equipment.
    I still do high end audio and while it is expensive used gear is usually a fair price and cables from monoprice or bluejeancables, transports the signal as well as I have seen. True though that an entry level headphone rig will run over 1k easy, if you want you can pay 2200 or so for a pair of cans. Hobbies make your life more interesting, just having discipline enough to wait until you can pay cash is the hard part.