Quantcast
First single bevel has arrived...any advice/recommendations? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First single bevel has arrived...any advice/recommendations?

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I use my fuguhiki for cutting potato skins. Only thing I have found other than fish from the supermarket to practice on.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    I use my fuguhiki for cutting potato skins. Only thing I have found other than fish from the supermarket to practice on.
    What does "cutting potato skins" mean? peeling? that doesn't seem right. Maybe like the appetizer?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Master speaks :-D

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    fwiw, i did put a koba on that knife
    Good to know! I was going to PM to ask if it was a good idea on this particular knife...if any

Thanks again for your customer-mindedness, you are an excellent example to every small business owner of the value of caring about your customer (as are many on this forum, actually).

learn to kastumuraki and push cut green onions and regular onions as thin as u think u can.
    It will teach you how to minimize your movement and be very efficient at push cutting. i got exponentially more efficient
    at push cutting when i started push cutting mountains of green onions and onions shavings for sushi. Try to be exact on your
    size of slices because imo food taste better when your slices are consistent.

DO, I know you've got several books on curries but I'm guessing you don't have 'Japanese Kitchen Knives: Essential Techniques and Recipies'. It's good for this sort of question, along with the great videos mentioned.

If I'd just received my first usuba (sadly, that day hath not arrived) I'd probably do the 'Needle-cut Vegetable Salad with Sesame Dressing' on p.34 because those fine, fine needle cuts look cool. Almost like little vermicellis.

Update us on how you're enjoying it. Man, I'll have to get one myself now.

As for the koba ...

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    fwiw, i did put a koba on that knife
    I'm curious if this was a 1-bevel koba or 2. If a 1, is the micro-bev on the front side or back of the knife? (From what I know, Mr Broida puts micro single-bevs when he sharpens double-bevelled knives and I suppose he would do the same in this case.

Just bought that book thanks patavas! Looks useful....

Quote Originally Posted by Patatas Bravas View Post
    DO, I know you've got several books on curries but I'm guessing you don't have 'Japanese Kitchen Knives: Essential Techniques and Recipies'. It's good for this sort of question, along with the great videos mentioned.

If I'd just received my first usuba (sadly, that day hath not arrived) I'd probably do the 'Needle-cut Vegetable Salad with Sesame Dressing' on p.34 because those fine, fine needle cuts look cool. Almost like little vermicellis.
    Awesome recco PB! Going to see if I can have that delivered to charlotte for my arrival there next week.

Update us on how you're enjoying it. Man, I'll have to get one myself now.
    Will do...I'll take some photos of my incompetence for the group

As for the koba ...

I'm curious if this was a 1-bevel koba or 2. If a 1, is the micro-bev on the front side or back of the knife? (From what I know, Mr Broida puts micro single-bevs when he sharpens double-bevelled knives and I suppose he would do the same in this case.
    IIRC from his videos, Jon usually puts it on the blade face side only. I think in some cases he recommends a back-bevel on the last 1-2" of the heel for Deba though.

Similar for the uBevel he recommends for the SIH..but I can't remember which side he recommends for that.

Thanks, guys, but hardly my recommendation. Been mentioned here before and more than once I'm sure. Good book and handy reference, the 3 big knives of Japan. I appreciate it in part because I get a bit sick of being at the computer checking into this subject; a book is a relief!

(Along with this, would also love to see a book all about stones and sharpening; might exist in Japanese, but doesn't in English for sure.)

Looking forward to the travel usuba shots, DO. Will you & the missus be travelling by camper?