Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: First single bevel has arrived...any advice/recommendations?

  1. #1

    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,373

    First single bevel has arrived...any advice/recommendations?

    Just got my first single-bevel in the mail today...putting a few coats of mineral oil on the handle + saya to prevent staining, etc. as the wood arrive very raw (nicely sanded + finished, just raw, if that's the right word).Looking for any thoughts on techniques, cuts, meals, sharpening, etc. for a noob with this to build skills around all aspects of owning using this type of knife.Knife is 210mm Uraku White #2 Usuba, left-handed.Welcome any thoughts...don't assume I know anything...except, perhaps, the difference between 1 and 2 bevels
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,155
    Put it on the stone to open, if Jon has not done so already :-D

    A koba can be helpful for white steel usuba. Just be gentle with it.

  3. #3

    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,373
    Thanks! Jon did initial sharpening on it for me....and it's wicked sharp, and wicked thin.

    Whats a koba? How does one use it?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Thanks! Jon did initial sharpening on it for me....and it's wicked sharp, and wicked thin.

    Whats a koba? How does one use it?
    Koba=microbevel

  5. #5
    Nice buy, Z.

    Have you watched Jon's videos on single bevel sharpening? They're a great place to start to understand how to sharpen single bevel knives.

    I'm certainly no expert, but, I participated in one of Jon's old Skype classes and spoken with him and have had him look at my work a bunch of times. I always think of a few important points that I learned from him that are in his videos:

    1. Pay attention to where I put my fingers and where you're exerting pressure on the knife, i.e. up above the shinogi line vs. toward the edge when sharpening these two different areas;
    2. Using a slight twist of the wrist to support sharpening the area above the shinogi line vs. the area toward the edge;
    3. Using light pressure when sharpening;
    4. Looking to keep the shinogi line even and parallel to the edge.

    I actually enjoy sharpening single bevel knives more than double bevel knives.

    Try doing Katsuramuki! Good luck and have fun with that knife!
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  6. #6
    Senior Member jimbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    477
    I'm in your boat too z, having recently bought a Kama usuba in blue steel. Am appreciating these tips. While there is lots of good videos, I still feel some direct tutelage would be best. Didn't even think about Skype classes, that would be very handy! Chefs armoury here in Melbourne does one on one classes but at 300 just too pricy for me at the mo!

  7. #7
    Senior Member jimbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    477
    And really enjoying the knife, scallion shaving and thin cuts in general have been improved. Katsuramuki, I nailed it the first time, think I could do it again?! Practice practice practice

  8. #8

    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    Koba=microbevel
    Doh! I probably should have known that! I know there are set of knives Jon recommends this for: the SIH series, and at least some single bevels. Thanks for the pointer!

    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Nice buy, Z.

    Have you watched Jon's videos on single bevel sharpening? They're a great place to start to understand how to sharpen single bevel knives.

    I'm certainly no expert, but, I participated in one of Jon's old Skype classes and spoken with him and have had him look at my work a bunch of times. I always think of a few important points that I learned from him that are in his videos:

    1. Pay attention to where I put my fingers and where you're exerting pressure on the knife, i.e. up above the shinogi line vs. toward the edge when sharpening these two different areas;
    2. Using a slight twist of the wrist to support sharpening the area above the shinogi line vs. the area toward the edge;
    3. Using light pressure when sharpening;
    4. Looking to keep the shinogi line even and parallel to the edge.

    I actually enjoy sharpening single bevel knives more than double bevel knives.

    Try doing Katsuramuki! Good luck and have fun with that knife!
    Thanks, I'm excited about learning something totally new.

    Yup, I rewatched them the day I placed the order, as well as re-watching the Japanese Knife Society vids he helped produce. I'm going to get to spend a little time with our friend in Fleetwood in a couple of weeks, and will definitely want to spend some time on this...I need to make a little flash card of these points to put on my sharpening kit!

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    And really enjoying the knife, scallion shaving and thin cuts in general have been improved. Katsuramuki, I nailed it the first time, think I could do it again?! Practice practice practice
    This is definitely some of the stuff I'm thinking of...and had katsuramuki in mind specifically
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

  9. #9
    Pics please.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

  10. #10

    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Pics please.
    Heh...I knew I wouldn't be able to get back from dinner in time to avoid that

    Just unboxed (well, a couple of coats of mineral oil):




    My best choil shot ever...but still not perfect:


    Not sure if this shot is useful:


    Can clearly see the line around the perimeter from Jon's initial uraoshi, and get a little sense of the grind of the ura..I couldn't figure out the right angle/light to do better here:
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •