Experience with Northwoods Blackwood XHP?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HooTeNaNNy

Reaction score
Im a knife lover and home cook. Ive been lurking on this forum for a while researching a good first gyuto to get for home cooking. Seemed like the CarboNext and Suisin INOX Western were almost universally recommended as good places to start, and I was leaning towards getting a 210 mm CarboNext. Then I came across the Northwoods Blackwood XHP http://www.knivesshipfree.com/product_info.php?cPath=75_934_966&products_id=24006

Seems like an interesting knife thats similar in price to the CN and Suisin, good blade steel (although Im sure it depends on heat treat), nice blackwood handle, and American made. Only problem is I cant find any info on it from people who have used one. Does anybody here have any experience with them?

Only thing Ive found so far are these pics of a santoku http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/931166/pid/2544198/post/last/m/1/ Seems like it has a nicely rounded spine, but I cant tell much else about it...maybe you guys with more experience can shed some light.

Thanks

When I read Northwoods I immediately thought of BarkRiver as the maker but when I saw the knife pictured it looks like a Lamson. Anyway, I have no idea what this knife is like but Butch Harner has been using Carpenter's XHP for some time now and liking it so that's something.

Yup, a lot of the stuff bearing the Northwoods name has either been made or finished by Bark River (Northwoods is now owned by the owner of Knives Ship Free, who is a Bark River distributor, and he's a good guy). I agree that these don't look like BR knives, and Lamson seems likely.

Whether BR or Lamson, I wouldn't expect geometry like that you get from most Japanese manufacturers. Lamson is responsible for the Artifex stuff that gets a lot of derision here -- decent blades, but more heavily built than many here prefer. Bark River makes fantastic stuff, but they're also more heavily built than what most people here are looking for. Great knives, though, and they've really made an art form of the fully convex grind.

If you send Derrick a note, I'm sure he'll give you the info.

Hmm...guess I'll have to email Derrick. I'll let you know what I find out.

I wrote Knives Ship Free an email and received a very prompt reply. Here it is:

We do have our Northwoods Cutlery manufactured by Lamson & Goodnow. These are distally tapered and have a convex edge.
We love them! They are a favorite around the shop. They are quality knives at an affordable price.

Looks like you guys were right about the Lamson part. While I like KSF as a company, I may hold off until I see more feedback from other people on these knives.

Back